This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW TO KUBUNTU

, hello not sure if this system is for me? I'm unable to afford the Windows XP upgrade. I had my computer built unbeknowst to me that this was counterfeit software. Please advise

Re: NEW TO KUBUNTU

Go for it!!

Kubuntu is open source. That means there is no cost for it use.

David

Comment

@spotslayer
      Well, technically, you can charge for open source software, but most open source software is cost-free, and Kubuntu is cost-free.

@kitka65
      I think you should at least try Kubuntu. If you download and burn the Desktop CD, you can boot it on your computer (without installing it) and preview how you like it, how well it works with your computer, etc.

Here is a guide for downloading and burning Kubuntu or Ubuntu:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Here is a guide for installing it:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

You are correct aysiu if you can find someone to pay for open source software you can sure sell it to them. However open source software can be had for free. It is an injustice that there are folks that take advantage of the open source community, especially the newcomers that are not yet aware of what our community is all about. I would say to anyone

Before you pay for open source software investigate your possibilities. If you are new ask. Watch out for ebay. There is much open source software sold there that can be had for only the effort of downloading.

Read the open source eula. There are always sharks that will take advantage.

Daviid

Comment

Well, there are actually several different open source licenses, and they all have their own terms.

Not all charging for open source is indicative of people being "sharks." It's perfectly acceptable to create software, give it an open source license, provide the source code, and then charge for the binaries. Of course, if you provide the source code, anyone willing to compile her own binaries could do so for free, so you would, in essence, be charging for convenience.

That's what it all boils down to. For example, Canonical sells DVDs of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on Amazon.com. They're not sharks. They're selling convenience. For those who don't have broadband internet (maybe dial-up) or don't have a CD burner or DVD burner, it may be worth the US$10 to buy a DVD from Amazon and get it within the week, as opposed to ordering the free ShipIt CD and waiting two months for it to arrive.

Now, what I don't think makes sense is to charge people for otherwise free software and not let them know they can obtain it freely. That's misleading and is the behavior of "sharks." If I put a Ubuntu CD up on eBay, I should say explicitly, "I'm selling this for your convenience if you can't otherwise get a copy. But for those with broadband internet and a CD burner, you can download your own free copy of Ubuntu here."
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

This is not the place for this discussion. If the code has been changed or other action taken then that is what is being charged for. This is a matter of personal belief as to what open source is. Here is a useful link. You could also read some of Richard Stallman's comments on these matters.

http://www.opensource.org/docs/history.php

At any rate Kubuntu/Ubuntu are great distro's and are free and will always be free. It can be obtained on CD just for the asking from

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Have fun
            David

Comment

Even if you don't change the code, you can charge for it.

Comment

Working...
              X