X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing modem software

Hi...

I'm totally new to kubuntu and i'm having a few problems with it... i can't understand how to install my modem's software... when i insert the CD into the machine it appears on the desktop but it doesn't run automatically... furthermore if i try and open the .EXE file a window asks me what program must be used to open that file... i really don't know what to do
    My computer also doesn't recognise some files that i want to pass on it... I burn the CD's with these files but once i pass the CD on the machine with Kubuntu the CD isn't read or has nothing on it...

What do i do

Re: Installing modem software

i can't understand how to install my modem's software
    What modem do you have? (It may have been recognised by Linux but you might not be using it properly.)
    furthermore if i try and open the .EXE file
    Remember that Linux is not Windows. Linux does not use .EXE files.
    My computer also doesn't recognise some files that i want to pass on it
    What files do you want to pass on to it?
    once i pass the CD on the machine with Kubuntu the CD isn't read or has nothing on it...
    What's on these CDs? E.G. Linux won't automatically identify something which has been formated in NTFS
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Modem: Speedtouch ADSL 330

I was trying to pass on it some firmware files for the modem hoping to make it work... but linux doesn't recognise them... now what?

Comment

Ah! The dreaded Speetouch (or Thomson/Alcatel) 330.

It is possible to use it but it is very, very difficult. Have a look at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=10481.0

If you want to use Linux and a (modem) router make life simple by buying an ethernet (modem) router. Avoid USB (modem)routers like the plague.

I am based in the UK and use a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router which I bought on ebay
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

why do i always have to be so unlucky

Is it that hard? i'm afraid i might do a huge mess...

Comment

Help!!! i'm trying to do what it says on the site but since i don't have an internet connection on the computer with kubuntu I have to transfer the files from the pc i'm using now to the other... the only problem is that once i insert the CD with the files on it it doesn't boot... what do i do?

Comment

Working...
            X