This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't install for me

I'm trying to install Kubuntu on a computer of mine.

Specs:
    Mobo: ECS K7S5A
    Proc: AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    GFX: Generic PCI
    RAM: Misc. 512MB (Memtest passed)
    HDD: 15GB Seagate (Booted into Windows 98 successfully --previous installation from another computer)

I select Run/Install the LiveCD

The Kubutntu boot screen comes up and the light blue bar goes back and forth over the longer dark blue bar.

Then the screen goes black except for a white blinking underscore in the top left corner.

After a while, I get an error
    [17179962.012000] Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 164144
    Then the underscore blinks more

[17180123.240000] sis630_smbus 000:00:02.0: SIS630 comp. bus not detected, module not inserted
    Then

* Activating swap... [ok]
    mount: Function not implemented
    *Checking file systems
    fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006) [ok]
    The screen goes blank with the blinking underscore, then the Kubuntu Logo and the dark blue long bar come back (no light blue moving bar).

The screen goes blank again with the blinking underscore.

[17180376.084000] VFS: brelse: Trying to free free buffer
    [17180376.084000] SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x4f44a
    [17180376.084000] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache block [13d0f16e]
    [17180376.084000] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 13d0f16e, size 3764
    Then the screen goes blank (no blinking underscore)

Can someone please tell me what all this means and how I can fix it? This is my first attempt to install a linux operating system.

Re: Kubuntu won't install for me

At the first boot screen you can choose "Check CD for errors"...

Did you try that? Maybe the CD is bad?

Comment

I narrowed down to what was causing the errors, the CD-ROM drive I was using must not have been reading the disc well. I switched the DVD-Rom drive I have in my other computer to the computer I am installing Kubuntu on. Now the computer loads the Kubuntu bootscreen, I tell it to Run/Install and the light blue block moves back and forth over the light blue block. Then the light blue block shows the loading progress and it readches 100%. For some unknown reason, my monitor goes into power standby mode because no video signals are being sent to it. I tried booting in the Graphic Safe Mode also, but the same thing has happened.

I checked the CD, and I got no MD5 errors. I also disconnected the HDD incase that was causing errors.

Comment

I think there are signals sent to your monitor, but the wrong ones...

If you have a ATI graphics card maybe this could help:
        http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...6&postcount=16

or this also for other cards:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyKnownIssues/59618

Comment

When I tried the second method, I got to the"login as root" thing but it was just the command promtp (I think it was Bash, but I am a linux noob).

The first method got me to the same "login as root" thing, but then the monitor went into power saving mode because it wasn't recieving any signals from the video card.

I am currently downloading the Kubuntu DVD because I heard that it has more driver support.

Should I try and install Windows XP Home on this computer to make sure that all the components are functioning/set up right? Or would that not do anything? (I don't have an extra Serial Key for WinXP so I could only have it installed for 3 days)

Comment

I would rather try with the alternate CD... it has a text mode installer, so you will not have this problem. But I am not sure if you can login then after the installation without problems!?

Somebody has some more helpful advice here!?

---------------edit-----------------

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
            try to boot with hitting F6 and adding: noapic nolapic noapci
            also
            acpi=off noapic nolapic vga=771
            could be something to try. Maybe it is a BIOS/ACPI problem...

--------------edit-----------------

but you're not alone I am afraid:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281111
            https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/67487

Comment

I used the Alternate installer for Dapper. Just install in text mode, and it tells you it will now reboot. And, it works! You don't have to do anything special with it.
              The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

I was getting a bunch of weird errors and stuff while attempting to install Dapper.
                Then, somebody told me push F6 when the first Kubuntu logo appears, and then add "irqpoll" (without quotes) to the end of the string that comes up.

I don't know what that did, but it installed fine after that.

Comment

I managed to install Kubuntu with the alternate installer. Everything seemed to go well, but when I try to boot up from the HDD that I installed it on, the splash screen comes up, loads about 85%, then the monitor goes into power saving mode and stops recieving signals from my graphics card. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: It seems when I press the power putton (and it's turned on), the screen comes back for about 4 seconds before it turning off. Any ideas? It loaded up the WinXP install CD with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X