This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core 2 Duo cry for help

I had dapper drake running just fine on my old Celery 2Ghz system and a Celery 700Mhz system (the one im on now). i canabalised the 2Ghz system for its hdd and DVD ROM and put it into a brand spanking new Core 2 Duo system i just put together.

Specs
    Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz
    Intel DG965WH mobo
    1Gb DDR2 RAM
    80 GB SATA HDD
    PATA DVDROM

The issue i have is i cant boot from the old HDD as it stops when booting the kernel. I cant boot from the Dapper Live CD same reason. I cant boot the Edgy Live CD as i get busybox for some reason.
    Can anyone help me out in one of two ways.

1. Is it possible to update the kernel to one that supports core 2 duos and 965 mobos back in my Celery 2Ghz? Which kernel supports this? I have seen that some people have Core 2's with 965's up but none of thier fixes have worked for me, but i know theres one out there.
    2. Suggest a Distro i could use instead that provides support for these anoying at best mobos?
    3.Provide a step by step guide on how to get Dapper or if need be Edgy (i have other issues with edgy and would prefer dapper) working? If you have the same mobo and CPU and it works please im begging.

I have a lot to learn about linux as until about a year ago i was a dedicated windoze power user. I then found linux and id rather have a very expensive wasted Core 2 Duo system than reinstall windoze on such a nice system.
    Thanks to anyone that can help.

Re: Core 2 Duo cry for help

Cant help re kernel booting I'm afraid although if you posted exactly what happened (where it halts and any error messages) when both the hdd and the dapper live CD stopped it might give someone more info -

Falling into busybox from a CD install is a classic sign of a bad CD image - please check both your downloaded image md5 and your written image md5 vs the correct md5 if you have not already done so.

Comment

Im about to throw my HDD back into my old machine and put an updated kernel in. Hopefully this will get me started.

I stop at Unpacking..........booting the kernel or similar. Someone knows the exact line its a commonly reported issue unfortunaly. Ill see how i go neways. if no luck on kernel update ill sit and write down entire logs and post em here.

Comment

How much RAM is in the computer with the Core 2 Duo?
        The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

1 gig of DDR2 - 2*512mb sticks

Comment

Ok after much trial and error i have compiled a 2.6.19 kernel that boots on my core 2 system.  Unfortunatly although it works fine on my Celeron i cant get kde up on the core 2 just command prompt.

Anyone know how to open the GUI from command prompt or what i may have done wrong on the compile to cause this?

Edit:
            Tried xstart as i saw it in another question and i gave it a shot.
            this is all i get

Code:
            X Window System Version 7.0.0
            Release Date: 21 December 2005
            X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
            Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.12 i686
            Current Operating System: Linux (computer name) 2.6.19-(my kernel name) #1 SMP Sun Dec 3 20:29:44 EST 2006 i686
            Build Date: 16 March 2006
                  Before reporting problems, check http:wiki.x.org to make shure you have the latest version.
            Module Loader present
            Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
            (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Dec 3 22:54:36 2006
            (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
            (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
            no screens found
            XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
            Hope this incresses the chances of finding a solution as it was heaps to type out lol

Comment

Hi,

If you put an already installed drive on this new box, it can be understandable... The /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to not be good for this machine.
              You can try to reconfigure it :
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Hope it helps.

Comment

Clownius, I'm no linux guru, but I've carefully observed about 10 installations of Edgy on my Intel BOX975XBX + Core 2 Duo Extreme system in the past 2 weeks (I learn by doing .... and doing over ...). If you watch the banner carefully during OS installation, you can see messages about Intel drivers flying by. I don't think the system on your hdd from the Celeron system is going to work on your Core 2 Duo system, because the new board needs to see the new drivers (or the kernal needs the new drivers to see the new board, whichever way you look at it).

That's my two cents' worth for you.

Comment

Working...
                X