This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version preferences

I have also posted this at ubuntu forums. I want advise or opinions on different versions of os, browser, and windows management. I would also like to know where I can get a comprehensive guide for choosing and fixing the video card. My video card is an ATI 9550 256mb. I also use an Athlon xp not a 64.

A) What is your opinion on Ubuntu vs kubuntu? What is the best way to install kubuntu? By best way, I mean most thorough. Which one is better for streaming video and video in general? I believe I read that w32codecs couldn't be used with kubuntu. What would you use instead of w32codecs is that is true?

B)For a browser, on a clean install of Dapper Drake from livecd you get an older version of firefox. On my last install I managed to update to swiftfox 2.0 but it seemed sloppy. I had to do it several times and I believe I ended up with 2 different versions of swift 2.0. One version had trouble with themes and the other didn't. Should I use firefox 2.0 or swiftfox 2.0 when I upgrade?

C)I like Enlightenment and want to know what is similar. I did have some probs with it. Where would I go to find out more about it's operation and what version to install. I tried to get themes(enlightenment's) and they didn't show up anywhere within the windows. I had them in my system and couldn't figure out how to use(enable) them. Enlighten also had problems with swiftfox. I had to downgrade to firefox 1.5. Enlightenment wouldn't recognize my themes for swiftfox 2.0 or even firefox 2.0.

Re: Version preferences

I would also like to know where I can get a comprehensive guide for choosing and fixing the video card. My video card is an ATI 9550 256mb
    How to install Graphics Driver (ATI)
    * See Unofficial ATI Linux driver wiki
    * Or Ubuntuforums.org
    * Or PenLUG.org
    What is your opinion on Ubuntu vs kubuntu?
    Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very largely the same thing. Ubuntu=Gnome, Kubuntu=KDE, Xubuntu=Xface, Edubuntu=bundled educational software.
    What is the best way to install kubuntu?
    A clean install from a CD is probably best.
    Which one is better for streaming video and video in general?
    Either.
    I believe I read that w32codecs couldn't be used with kubuntu.
    w32codecs CAN and is used in Kubuntu.
    on a clean install of Dapper Drake
    The current stable version is Edgy Eft. You can install the script Automatix2 which will download FF2 and/or Swiftox2.
    I like Enlightenment and want to know what is similar
    I have Enlightenment installed . Why not use it?
    Where would I go to find out more about it's operation and what version to install
    http://www.enlightenment.org http://get-e.org http://edevelop.org/forum
    I had them in my system and couldn't figure out how to use(enable) them.
    Working themes are available on the website at Get-e.org and you must drop them into the ~.e/e/themes folder

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
    X