This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network/Internet Connection Problem

My internet is not working. I believe I skipped the particular section of the installation regarding modem and network card devices, and I have no connection whatsoever.

My network card is detected by both lspci and lshw, but dhclient refuses to set up any connection whatsoever. I get a "no broadcast interface found" when using dhclient.

I am on a DSL modem. I do not have a username or password (so I can't use pppoeconf and those other point-to-point things...)

Ifconfig does not list my eth0...

I'm stuck. Can someone prod me into the right direction? I'm using a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet card, a DSL modem, living in Korea (not sure if that might cause a few differences).

Re: Network/Internet Connection Problem

What about ("doing as root does", of course) System Settings > Network Settings > Network Connections? There, you should be able to set the interface up ...

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Oh, right. That. It shows nothing. I'm not sure what's supposed to be in it, but theres nothing there I can really alter

Edit:
      One person (who has never used kubuntu before, but other distro's) suggested a modprobe to insert a module of my network card (I think that's what he said?) into the kernal so that Kubuntu recognizes the card.... What about that?

Comment

The interface in question (e.g. eth0) is supposed to show up there, assumedly as being "disabled" or the like - but if there is no interface listed at all, then you are in trouble ...

As for the idea about adding some kernel modules: there I can only guess, I am afraid - but maybe sudo modprobe -v pci_hotplug would help you on (?).

HTH
        Birdy

Comment

Thats... no good. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Edit: Will do.

Edit2: I don't think it did anything. Checked the connection and settings but nothing had changed.

Comment

And what happens when you try to (re-) start the network, e.g. by sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart, afterwards?

Comment

"There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid with pid 134993416"
              eth0: error while getting interface: no such device
              (repeat above line)
              bind socket to interface - no such device."

Comment

O.k. then - would you please show me / us the output resulting from [sudo] lspci | grep Ethernet then? In order to (hopefully) identify the proper kernel module for your specific device, we need the exact name of it ...

Comment

is encryption turned off and/or MAC address filtering turned off on your wireless router/access point ?

Comment

The result of sudo lspci |grep Ethernet -

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (Rev 11)

And no, I do not have a wireless or a router so I'm not sure if I can answer those questions

Comment

Mlcloud,

having done some additional research on this, I (for now ) would suggest to give the "tg3" module a try:

Code:
                      sudo modprobe -v tg3
                      sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
                      HTH
                      Birdy

Comment

Hehe, nice timing. Thats what I just found out too.

Edit: Still couldn't detect anything... maybe I need the driver for linux (tg3)?

Here are a series of links that I've found, but can't understand (due to lack of linux experience, coding experience, etc)

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?11555 - site discussing a patch to add support for the Broadcom 5751 card.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-ke...0/22/0003.html - Someone who had made his 5751 card work?

http://www.linux-tested.com/results/...ton_5700G.html - to quote,
                        The On-Board Broadcom 5751 Lan chip weren't detected by normal install , must get driver file bcm5700-7.3.5.tar.gz then setup it.
                        So it looks like my network card is the main problem, and that other linux users have suffered from it... Wow thats unlucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X