Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could not create symlink (external harddrive permissions issue)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could not create symlink (external harddrive permissions issue)

i am trying to copy my incomplete ktorrent files to my external hard drive to and then consequently shift my whole ktorrent operation to my external harddrive. however when i try to copy the folder to the harddrive i get an error that i cannot create symlink and that i needed to check my permissions. i am logged in as root first off and i have fully permissions on my harddrive as set my the advanced system settings menu on kde. i can not copy the directory from the terminal cp -r command or by manually moving the folder on kde. im confused at this point. any suggestions on how to get around this?
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: could not create symlink (external harddrive permissions issue)

I got this bad habit of cheating. The way I made my external drive easy to reach was I created a folder in my home directory (/home/my_name) then used fstab to mount it there

Comment

i opened fstab and im not sure i understand what you are suggesting.
      apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

what i think it is sugested which sounds actually as a nice way to cheat the system is to open the fstab
        and add a line lets say similar to this that the first part states the device ..the external disk in your case...the second part would be a shortcut folder that you will have created on your desktop for example or in your media folder..... then the type of the external...vfat for i.e. if it is FAT32....
        then you could write umask=000 to have copy,write,execute permision...and then also add 0 and 0 like the rest in your fstab file...an example i give you below:

/dev/hda6 /media/folder vfat umask=000 0 0

otherwise the permisino could be changed with the chmod command...

since though this was not my proposal i think that what is what is sugested...though backup your original fstab n then try it...it will not hurt!

Hope i helped a bit!

good luck

Comment

Sorry! Forgot to check back on this.

A really nice link for what you want to do is here:
          http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

Comment

Working...
          X