X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intro and many questions.

Hi all.
    I finally installed Kubuntu today. I had been playing with it for quite a while while running SUSE. The formation of "Microvell" finally gave me the last bit of encouragement I needed to dump SUSE once and for all.

Now on to some of my questions. I'm running Kubuntu 6.06 64bit virsion. I downloaded the CD for 6.10 today and when burning the ISO, I discouvered that my Plextor SATA DVDRW is actually available to me. It has never been on any other distro. So I started to download the DVD of 6.10. When I saw that it said the the download in KTorrent would take 1 day and 13 hours I stopped it.

Would it better for me to download and install from the DVD or will installing from the CD accomplish basically the same thing? o\)r would I be better advised to stay with 6.06 for now?

Is there something I must do to set up KTorrent to get a faster download? I'm connected via cable modem.

At this point I'm unable to configure my HP color laser 2600n. The system sees it but won't accept configuration input. It tells me that either there is no driver or that I don't have the permissions. Any ideas on what to do? Would updating to 6.10 improve my printers support?

I have hundreds of more questions but they can wait for now.

TIA

neubu

Re: intro and many questions.

1 day 13 hours is pretty good for a torrent I think. You can forward your ports and install a torrent client that uses UPnP and you might get it down to 1 day 8 hours or so. :-)

The DVD comes with all the repositories that were available at the time of the 6.06 release, so it might save you some update time after the basic install from the CD. I did the DVD thing and still had one hell of a download after the base install. If I was going to do it over I would just download the CD.

It sounds like you're quite a bit more of an advanced user than I, all I can do is relate my experience.

I found the 32 bit version of Dapper (6.06) to be much less buggy and easier to configure than the 64 bit.

One of the stickies over on the Ubuntu forums is titled "Thinking about upgrading to Edgy" Read this first!"

In it it advises us to be prepared to "resolve your own issues" and to back everything up in case you need to revert from bare metal.

Reading all the comments - either Edgy goes off perfect or it's a nightmare. Folks with ATI cards seem to have a lot more trouble then folks with Nvidia, and the folks with integrated Intell graphics seem to have very few problems at all.

I don't have a color HP - but my laser jet was no problem at all, I got my driver from the HP site.

Comment

Working...
    X