This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.10 Hardware Support

I'm trying out Kubuntu as an alternative to Windows and having a few problems. I hope someone can help.

I have installed Kubuntu 6.10 on an Nvidia nForce 2 based system with integrated graphics, sound and network (MSI 6570 mainboard). Kubuntu has incorrectly detected my graphics card as a GeoForce4 which is disappointing, but not unexpected.

My screen resolution is locked at 640 x 480, but I am able to change this using:

#sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

The Nvidia web site states: "Open source drivers for NVIDIA nForce hardware are included in the standard Linux kernel and leading Linux distributions".

Why didn't Kubuntu detect my hardware correctly and install the drivers then?

Thanks,

David.

Re: Kubuntu 6.10 Hardware Support

There is a difference between open source drivers and Nivida drivers. Nivdia and ATI (the 2 biggies in the video field) won't provide source code to Linux developers. They are free as in here have a beer, not as in here, do what you want with this, change it anyway you want to.

Ubunttu doesn't ship proprietary software and drivers. Or at least not yet. There is talk that for Fiesty Fawn they are going to build them in.

The how to I followed to install the *Nvidia* drivers is here:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 6.10 Hardware Support

Podunk,

So the open source drivers (the ones shipped with Kubuntu) which I'm trying to install will provide basic display functionality.

If I want to get the maximum performance from my nForce chip set will I need to install and enable Nvidia proprietary drivers?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X