This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help getting webcam running - PLEASE HELP

Hi, I am a newly converted Linux user from MS Windows. I just bought a new webcam; "Logitech QuickCam chat". I have no idea how to get it working; I have been searching for hours for information regarded installing my webcam on Linux, but to no avail. I have read about this "spca5xx" universal driver for webcams, but I have no clue how to get that running. I have both Kubuntu and Knoppix LiveCDs. If anyone could help me with getting this webcam running, or at least point me in the right direction, that would be great! Thank you.

Re: Need help getting webcam running - PLEASE HELP

if you are running edgy just install spca5xx-sources and camorama. it will work!

Comment

Is it possible to install that using Dapper? Edgy seems to be full of problems and best left to you guys to play with for a while, I understand.

Comment

Both of those apps are in the Dapper repositories. Whether or not they work I can't say not having a webcam. :-)

If it doesn't show up when you search then you need to "enable the extra repositories" as described here:
        http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Comment

Thanks for that! I'd searched for hours and found that webcams were a no-go area!
          So I downloaded Camorama - I assumed I'd also need the spcs thingy.

However Camorama simply opens up an error window 'Could not connect to video device (/dev/video0). Please check connection

Now, other than having shoved its USB cable in, Kubuntu knows nothing of this webcam. I assumed Camorama would welcome it with open source (to coin a phrase).

Should I have told it about its new friend in any standard way?

Comment

Originally posted by maiatico
            if you are running edgy just install spca5xx-sources and camorama. it will work!
            And how do I do this?? How do I find out what version of Kubuntu I am running?

Comment

sudo aptitude install spca5xx-sources camorama

Comment

Working...
              X