This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on mac

I didn't really know where to post this so I just put it here...
    Anyway, I have a powermac G4 and I'm trying to get a kubuntu live cd to work on it
    and am coming across problems everywhere. First, my disk utility wouldn't work
    at all so I couldn't even make the cd. I got a different disk image program called
    FreeDMG, which allowed me to load the image at least,
    but I couldn't figure out how to burn it from there. I just ended up using the finder
    menu to burn it after choosing the cd as the destination for FreeDMG to load the image
    to, which basically just put the image on the cd. Is all you're supposed to do?
    Because when i started the computer up with this cd in it didn't start into kubuntu. How
    do I do this?!?

Re: Kubuntu on mac

did you hold down C when you restarted? is that your problem or are you beyond this point -

they also ship free CD's they come in quite fast too believe it or not.

that is the way to go .

I too could not get an install CD to brun an iso image. I wasted 6 CD's and then sent for them.

I only ran live CD and not installed yet... I am not ready to lose my powerbook for a dysfunctional linux OS yet.

I am trying to get the bucks for a linux installed cheap laptop.

Comment

when you say holding down C key do you mean ctrl or letter c or shift&letter c or capslock or what do you mean

Comment

just letter c until it starts booting up. as soon as it ends the original on and then restarts - press C. it will make all sorts of loading sounds and then once that happens - it should take you to the CD - it is a bit weird of a prcoess as to what appears on the screen - i did it 1x on windows and 1x on a mac - the windows I had to hold the off button to exit because there was no way to quit - but the Mac was far better.

Comment

wow i just noticed this forum has too many topics and not enough answers..

Comment

man I am on your side - the c command works for me everytime.

and yes - the forum sucks for lack of help at times - go look at the mac section - many questions and not 1 reply!

I am gald they are here - but no way i am trashing a gorgeous mac os system for linux that doesn't work. I saw another post in the newebie section and 2 guys gave 2 different answers as to a command line type this issue. well- when yoiu have such disparity and no one gets anything working but crashes the linux OS even more that is not very positive.

I have been thinking about getting a shoprcubed basic laptop loaded with ubuntu and starting from there.

I depend on my powerbook and my macbook pro for my busines and website, etc and cannot afford my system to be permanently under coscyruction and yes I i am so very fascinated with Linux!!!

best wishes my friend.

Zenmind

Comment

Working...
            X