This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu vs. ubuntu & also linux certified

I have 2 questions and I realize the first has been asked 3,000 times; but I am terribly confused and need to know.

1. it seems to me that Kubuntu is used less and also less repected than Ubuntu. What is the problem? I like the KDE environment from what I have read over the years - Most companies only load gnome ubuntu. Can you run KDE in ubuntu? or do I have to have Kubuntu installed? there also seems to be more issues with Kubuntu than Ubuntu? is that true? and what so i look for.

2. has anyone bought the basic laptop from Linux certified with ubuntu or Kubuntu installed? they wrote me and said that they can do ubuntu with KDE and that is why my first set of questions were asked. I am confused. I wanted to do linux for years but not a geek and know no command line stuff and also wnat to make sure this works and I do not have a computer that doesn't work and have to load windoze on it to use it - I hate windoze and have been using osX for many years now - so to do this linux thing It has to work...

thank you.

I also need to get this wireless too via my airport. is this possible and easy to do?

Re: Kubuntu vs. ubuntu & also linux certified

This company sells Ubuntu preloaded, I bet they'd load Kubuntu also:
    http://system76.com/
    Their pricing looks pretty good, I'm going to buy my next laptop from them.

I prefer Kubuntu and KDE. I'm in the process of changing all my company's computers over to Kubuntu.

Supposedly you can have both KDE and Gnome on your machine and switch back and forth at will - never tried it.

Don't have wireless here, so I can't answer that question. I do notice there are a lot of questions regarding setting up wireless on the forums.

I would imagine on a preconfigured computer wireless would be up and running. I'd ask before I bought. :-)

Comment

Re: Kubuntu vs. ubuntu & also linux certified

I boight one from them earlier this year - system 76 - the guy had no clue what was going on and the tech help and the manuals were completely wrong - I sent it back the same day! They have nice computers but their knowledge is terrible. They supported kubuntu and then they didn't. that is why it is not offered anymore. They have no idea what is going on when i dealt with them.

be careful. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
      X