This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updating the OS

in windows they have windows update...does linux have a smilier thing?

i hear about apt ..what is that exactly ..... from what i understand...theres 2 types of updaters for linux.... 1 to update the OS with patches and another program that updates software.....or did i hear wrong, this 1 program updates both?

Re: updating the OS

I'm assuming that you are running Dapper Drake or Edgy Eft.

There are basically two common updaters on Ubunti/Kubuntu: Adept and Synaptic. Some prefer one over the other. I have used both and find them equally good.

If you go to K->System->Package Manager (Adept), then you can run Adept. Here there are at least three types of files: installed, not installed, and updatable. Click on the ">" at the left side of the window and you can get a better description of the app, and you will be given the opportunity to install the app if it's uninstalled, or to upgrade the app if it is upgradable, or to remove it if it's installed. Then click on the button called "Apply Changes" and step back! It will figure out the dependencies and will install/update/remove the app.

Synaptic may or not be installed on your system. If it is you can get to it the same way as Adept: K->System->Package Manager (Synaptic Package Manager). This is a little different from Adept. You can search for the individual app, look for it according to its status (installed, not installed), or look for it in "sections", or related groups of apps. Again, make your selection, click on the "Apply" button, and it takes off.

If there are new upgrades available an icon will appear in your applet panel. As I remember it is a red triangle with a "!" over it. (It does not appear on my computer now since I have applied all the updates). Just click on it, and it will give you the chance to see what updates are available, or to cancel if you change your mind.

Have fun with these, install an app, then uninstall it, so you can see what happens. Then later you can get into apt, apt-get, dpkg, and other lower-level installers. But Adept and Synaptic will do enough for you at the start.

Comment

Re: updating the OS

And, as I understand it, updating the OS with patches etc. is handled by Adept (not just programs)
      but updating like from Windows XP to Vista is a totally different kettle of fish. Just like you might be happy with Win98 and not want to go to Millenium - same here. And though the new Edgy version is out it is, so these forums say, not ready to roll for the like of newbies (me) unless you really like solving problems. Having said that, still can't print (after many weeks and many posts...)

Comment

Working...
      X