Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is everything ran from command line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is everything ran from command line?

i wanted to install firefox, but couldnt because i didnt understand the command line
    i wanted to install aim but couldnt because i didnt understand the command line...

why cant i just click it and go from there like windows? ....its like the simplest thing i cant do..please help

Re: why is everything ran from command line?

I have the same, question.
    I have also been trying to load Firefox, with on luck.
    It would seem there would be an easy way.

Comment

You don't need the command line to install apps. You use the Add/Remove Programs or Adept Manager to install programs. You launch that and search for firefox.

As for AIM, you won't be able to install the same AIM program that you install on Windows. Kopete, KDE's Instant Messaging client, can handle different types of IM protocols, includiing Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ, and Google Talk.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

What version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu are you using? And how are you trying to do the installs? I presume that you have X-windows [a GUI] going, but that you are trying to do your installs in a Konsole session.

If you go to K->System->Package Manager (Adept) you can install it without messing with the command line. Search for Firefox in Adept, click on the ">" on the right side of the window, and it will drop down and will let you choose to install it. Make that selection, click on "Apply changes", and it will do the install for you. You should be getting all of your apps at this point using the "repositories" in Adept or Synaptic (another package manager). Repositories are servers that have the packages in the .deb format, which either of the package managers can install directly.

Comment

People recommend the command-line because it's fast, and if you run into problems, they can be easily diagnosed from error messages.

But, as Jucato points out, you don't need the command-line at all to install Firefox. Just use Add/Remove Programs.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by eeps24
            why cant i just click it and go from there like windows?
            Well, Linux is NOT Windows...that is probably why it is more stable as well, because you cannot just CLICK IT and install whatever...

You just need to get used to how Linux works.

Comment

Originally posted by adder
              Well, Linux is NOT Windows...that is probably why it is more stable as well, because you cannot just CLICK IT and install whatever...

You just need to get used to how Linux works.
              That's only half true (the part about Linux not being Windows). You can just click on something to install it, but not in the same way you do in Windows. In Windows, you download an installer from God knows where and click on it to install it. In Linux you can use a GUI package manager to look for something you want to install, select it, and click on the install or apply button. The Windows way has the advantage of being always up to date with the latest, regardless of consequences. The Linux way has the advantage of security and stability, but not always being on time (for new releases).
              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

think I'm being really stupid - installed kubuntu and am running the add/remove programs option. I can find the packages I want to add but they are all disabled/greyed out - only the programs I currently have installed seem to be available to pick - what am I doing wrong?

Cheers

MH

Comment

Hey MH - not stupid, just new to a different operating system.

There are about 20,000 programs available to install in Kubuntu with just a couple of clicks. These programs are stored on internet file servers called "repositories."

For various and sundry reasons, Kubuntu ships with a few repositories enabled, you have to enable the rest.

This is best done with the command line (Kmenu>System>Konsole Terminal) and a good How to is here:
                  http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

Once the repositories are enabled, you'll be able to use Adept (Package Manager) as well as the Add Programs.

Comment

Originally posted by mad-halfling
                    I can find the packages I want to add but they are all disabled/greyed out
                    When you start add/remove programs, you should be asked for your password.

Are you sure that you give it correctly?.

Javier.

Comment

aha, found the repositories - RTFM =8)

for those who might also be having this problem, here is my solution: when I installed kubuntu I didn't have an internet conn up and so all the reps were disabled by the installer. To enable these and update them, go to Adept (under the settings menu)
                      select [View][Manage Repositories]
                      you will probably see all the reps in the list greyed out, right-click each non-comment line (or just the ones you want) and hit enable. you should now be able to update and install new progs

Cheers for the help folks

Comment

Working...
                      X