This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubunto for amd dual core?

I'm sure this will label me a true newbie, but at least I'm in the right topic area...

I burned a copy of kubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso.
    On my amd duron machine the cd booted and I looked over the OS. No problem booting from cd and running Kunbunto.

Then I went to AMD machine where I'd like to install it and made a 10 gb unformatted partition. This machine is running an AMD 64 x2 3800 cpu in an AM2 socket.

When I tried to boot it up and install Kunbunto the boot attempt ended with a "kernal panic" error message. Kunbunto won't run from the CD.

Do I need a different version of Kunbunto for the dual core cpu?

Thanks in advance,

e

Re: kubunto for amd dual core?

Hi,

Usually it's booting fine, I'm using a X2 4200 running well but on socket 939... I've heard that it's running not always well on a AM2. Anyway, you should try different option at boot time (like noapic, noacpi, ... I don't remember all of them).
    or download an alternate cd, or the 64bits live desktop.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks sky...

I downloaded the amd64 bit version. That booted up and then installed fine once I sorted out the partition issues. I prepared partitions ahead of time, but needed to reformat the root partition with the install routine.

Starting to learn my way around. Haven't been at the command line since the late nineties. Once I get the linksys wireless usb set up (no linux drivers) I'll be on my way...

~e

Comment

Originally posted by ecoshift
        When I tried to boot it up and install Kunbunto the boot attempt ended with a "kernal panic" error message. Kunbunto won't run from the CD.
        i had a similar problem with 6.10, but 6.06 worked fine. I guess you could re-downlaod and burn the CD. What program did you use to make the CD

Comment

Kubunto? Never heared of it. Do you mean KubuntU?
          The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
          X