This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Boot Time Improvement?

I am ready to upgrade an old IBM 600e from Win2000 to Kubuntu. I have booted from the disk, and everything seems to work fairly well except for the sound card, which I really don't care about right now. Here's my question: I really want to get away from Windows 2000, which takes about 5 to 7 minutes to boot up and running and is very sluggish. Booting from the CD into Kubuntu takes about 3-4 minutes. If I wipe my hard drive and do a total install of Kubuntu, do you think I can expect much boot time improvement? I realize that there are thousands of variables at work here, but I'd like an informed opinion from someone who has done something similar on an old laptop. I am a forgiving person and will understand if any advice given turns out to be wrong due to unforseen variables. I guess I just need some encouragement before taking that final step! Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Re: Any Boot Time Improvement?

lccart,

by default, the Kubuntu boot process is far from being efficient (for, assumedly, the primary objective is to get things going as easy as possible). Therefore, in a situation similar to yours (IBM NetVista 6578), I decided to skip all file system checks as well as to kill most of the daemons waken at boot time - not nice, but efficient 8) hopefully, here as well as there you may get an idea of what I have done ...

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

It'll boot up a lot quicker when it's on your hard drive than it wil off the cd.

It takes a little over 4 minutes for my windows install to become functional, Kubuntu less than a minute.

Go for it - you're going to be amazed. :-)

Comment

I would like to thank both of you for your comments. Sorry to take so long to get back, but it's been a busy week and I finally decided to go for it. Results: KUBUNTU immediately recognized everything on the machine except sound. The machine takes about 1/2 the time to boot up, making it much more viable as an option for daily work. In short, I'm really happy with it. The suggestions for reducing bootup time looked to be very reasonable (from my newbie point of view), but I'll be a bit afraid to go there until I have a bit more experience. Thanks once again to you both!

Comment

Working...
        X