This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't enable filesharing

I have been trying to enable file sharing on my newly upgraded edgy kubuntu system. kmenu>system settings>sharing and to make changes requires root access. i click on 'administrator mode' and it asks for my password. no problems. but then nothing happens. the box now has a red outline and the 'administrator mode' button is no longer active and that's it. the options are greyed out. when i select any file, and try to configure file sharing, it remains greyed out. is this a bug? is there something else i need to do? when i was runnng dapper i had the same problem and i was hoping it would work here. i am running a dual boot notebook going through a router to a desktop that runs edubuntu. i can use konquerer to access the other machine through remote places>samba shares but the other machine can't access this one until i enable the files to be shared (i guess).
    also, another question... can i attach a printer to one of the machines and print from both? where should i look to learn how to do that?

Re: can't enable filesharing

Hi benner,

I had the same problem both with dapper and edgy. I couldn’t solve it in edgy, and due to other big problems with edgy, I returned to dapper where I am having it again. I have to say though that I am getting this problem beyond any logic, so it must be a bug. Anyway, I use the following method to work round it. When it gets stuck, I restart my box and then go to administrative mode before I do anything else. But this didn’t work with edgy.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I think it's a bug. I get this a lot with networking options.

I stopped using "System Settings," to do my settup. Try running the command:

Code:
      kcontrol
      It's not as easy to use as System Settings, but that program is much more powerfull, and does basically the same thing.
      The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

You can also go to Run Command and type in "kdesu systemsettings". kdesu lets you use GUI apps with root privileges. For example "kdesu kate" open kate with root privileges and lets you edit files like /etc/fstab that you otherwise don't have permission to edit.

Comment

Working...
        X