X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing resolution problem kubuntu dapper drake

hi guys

non important stuff:
    im realy frustrated right now, been trying to install kubuntu and programms for quite some time
    now finaly managed to get beryl up and running but i still got one problem left that i kinda cant take care on my own

just switched from windows to linux a few month ago and on my laptop everything works fine, never had any problems but on my desktop pc thats a different story
    i got some expirience with debian sarge on root servers but it just wont help me here
    /non important stuff

if i change my resolution and refresh rate nothing happens, just the accept button appears
    if i accept and restart X ill end up with 640 x 480 and cant change anything then
    nvidia drivers installed... i got a nvidia 5200 128 mb
    this is with or without beryl installed the same
    so im stuck with 1280 x 1024 60 hz on a 17crt, not very pleasant

i tried to modify the xorg.conf file manualy but it seems to me every change i make wont matter
    im now wondering if deleting the file would make any difference that xserver starts or not...

so my question now is
    how do i change the resolution and refresh rate ?

please help me

edit:

something else, anyone know when this "i dont belong here this is just not right" feeling about my desktop stops ?
    i can play all my movies everything, got everything i ever used: irc, icq, games etc. still i dont feel confortable
    its like im missing windows now lol

Re: changing resolution problem kubuntu dapper drake

You can try reconfiguring the xserver...which should let you choose the displaymodes you wish to use:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Also, if your monitor is not recognized properly, you may need to add the refresh ranges of your monitor in xorg.conf (check the ranges from your monitor documentation, incorrect values may cause hardware breakage):

Add (under 'Section "Monitor"') something like:

HorizSync 30-90
    VertRefresh 50-120

check the ranges from your monitor documentation, incorrect values may cause hardware breakage

Comment

i did that, i even tried that nvidia tool both didnt work i was just hanging at the kubuntu logo

got help from a linux pro and after he reconfigured my xorg.conf it worked with 1024
      then i tried to change to 1152, he helped me with that to, i addet the new line and at start i was hanging at the kubuntu logo again

so i thought ok no problem use ur backup xorg.conf, copied it and restarted and im still hanging at the logo

since then i tried all the onboard config tools used backups, even those with 1280 but im still hanging at the logo

im getting sick of all the problems, most i solved on my own but this is realy bugging me

Comment

Are you using the stock ubuntu nvidia-glx package (nvidia 8776) or the newer non-official drivers? I have a similar problem with the 9629 drivers (to play with AIGLX in Edgy), i could not get any resolution changes to stick after an X restart no matter how I edited the xorg.conf file. I see similar issues on Nvidia's linux forums, but no hard info as to why or how to fix. Though the nvidia-settings app worked fine, any edits did not stick, and known good xorg..conf backups would not allow me to change refresh rates at all. This is on my fx6200 (Athlon XP 2600), while my fx5500 on my old Athlon 1200 box works straight up with the new drivers

If you are using the official ubuntu version drivers, I dunno

Comment

Working...
        X