This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Windows habits still necessary?

Defragmenting - presumably that still has to be done. I'm not being daft but I wondered if Linux sort of does it itself automatically.

Uninstalling - I understand that there isn't a registry. Therefor when a program is uninstalled (I uninstalled Gnucash) and folders are still left - I guess you can simply delete them?

Windows put programs neatly in a Programs folder.
    Linux seems to put little folders all over the place for each program. Is there any logic to it, to help me know where things are?

Re: Old Windows habits still necessary?

Defragmenting - as long as your drive doesn't get 100% full, fragmentation isn't normally a problem with Linux filesystems.

Uninstalling - if you choose to "Purge" rather than "Remove" programs, most of the settings will get taken out too. If an app has been removed, it's probably going to be OK to remove its directories...
    • Executable files - the actual programs - are normally in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin
      Libraries are normally in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib (think c:\windows\system32)
    • Documentation, where it exists, goes in /usr/share/doc (though typing "man command" is normally the best way to find it)
    • Programs settings - these are usually stored in your home directory in hidden folders or files, with filenames starting "."
    That's loosely what happens - but generally, if you're installing things through the package manager (Adept, Synaptic, Aptitude, apt-get etc) you don't need to worry about where things are placed too much.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorris235
      Windows put programs neatly in a Programs folder.
      That isn't entirely true, most programs drop files outside the 'Program folder', like into the system folders.

The 'linux way' has advantages, since the system knows where to find executables, settings etc. You don't have to worry about paths for example, generally just typing a program name will start it. (you can start a program with 'superkaramba' rather than /usr/bin/superkaramba)

Comment

OK - defragging not necessary.

Purging is better than Removing programs. As I use Adept Package, I only get the option to Remove. How would I Purge?

I can delete any folders called by the name of the deleted program - but I expect the disc to get cluttered up with the equivalent of dll's. These probably wont be scrapped - but I could never identify the useless ones, so never mind?

Everybody used to complain about Windows slowing down, getting cluttered up etc hence my questions.

Incidentally both of you - and thanks for your useful comments - are expecting me to use Konsole! Who on earth, coming from Windows, is going to do that??!! Apple, DOS then a GUI. I ain't giving that up!!

Thanks again.

Comment

Not sure, but I think Adept purges by default. But what is left over after an uninstall are config files

Comment

I used to hate the command prompt when I used Windows, but Linux' command prompt is so much better! Everything in it actually makes sense.
            The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jnorris235
              I can delete any folders called by the name of the deleted program - but I expect the disc to get cluttered up with the equivalent of dll's. These probably wont be scrapped - but I could never identify the useless ones, so never mind?
              The libraries installed by a package will get removed when a package is removed (and when no other package needs them), so clutter isn't an issue in that regard.

Incidentally both of you - and thanks for your useful comments - are expecting me to use Konsole! Who on earth, coming from Windows, is going to do that??!! Apple, DOS then a GUI. I ain't giving that up!!
              I didn't think I did that, it was just an example of how the system works, you can of course create a nice desktop icon to launch the program, for example.

Comment

Not sure, but I think Adept purges by default. But what is left over after an uninstall are config files
                Does it? I've looked at it when I requested an uninstall, and when I preview the changes, it doesn't mention the other associated packages like it does when you install them. E.g.: App1, then App1-data, libApp1, etc. Am I doing something wrong, or does it do it after that stage? I really need to free up some space on my drive. 
                -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Comment

Purging is removing all files and configs, but not dependencies as they mightr be shared by other apps

One way I know to do this is to use a command line (if you are using Edgy, don't think the option is in Dapper):
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get autoremove
                  this will remove any 'stray' libraries if there are any

deborphan is another way to find and remove unneeded libraries, and there is even a gui for it called gtkorphan

Also, if you use aptitude ( konsole but semi-gui package manager) it will automatically remove any unneeded deps whan uninstalling a package

Comment

Working...
                  X