X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quanta ZW9A-SKU2 laptop

Problem with display adapter.
    Max resolution is 1024 x 768 should be able to run on 1400 x 1200.
    No information in the system on Kubuntu.

Hardware:
    Screen: 15" XGA TFT (1400x1050, 16,7 million color)
    Displayadapter: ATi Radeon 9700 128 MB DDR (Onboard)

Any idea?

Re: Quanta ZW9A-SKU2 laptop

In Dapper, I had no success using the Display function under System Settings, and I have not yet tried it in Edgy. Historically, I've modified manually the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you would like to try it, be sure to save a copy of the original because one wrong move with this file, and you're stuck in text mode until you get it fixed.

In your file, you should have a line in the "Screen" section that reads something like

modes "1024x768"

You could try to change that line to read

modes "1400x1200"

After you change the file, restart the X server (logging out and back in should do it) to see if the changes worked. One of two things should happen: Either it will work or you will not get a graphics display at all (i.e., you'll have to log in via the text based interface). If the latter occurs, restore the xorg.conf file to its original version so you'll at least have 1024x768.

Best of luck!

Comment

Does not work.
      Try 1200 x 1024 and all ****ed up.

Comment

Hmm... I've never heard of that resolution. Some common resolutions for a monitor that has an aspect ratio of 4:3 are

640 x 480
        800 x 600
        1024 x 768
        1152 x 864
        1600 x 1200

Do you know the aspect ratio of your monitor? I'm guessing that it may be 4:3 because you mentioned using 1024x768 (1024 / 768 = 4 / 3). But 1200 x 1024 is not 4:3. It turns out to be 75:64. Still, whatever resolution you chose, it must be one that your monitor "knows about." For example, 400 x 300 is certainly 4:3, but you cannot set the monitor to a resolution of 400 x 300.

Hope that helps...

Comment

When Windows was runing on this laptop I use'd 1200 x 1024 or 1400 x 1200
          Don't know if I need som drivers or plugin for the adapter.

Comment

That may be the case - though, I'm not sure of course. I can tell you that I have a laptop with a widescreen monitor. Prior to using Kubuntu, I was running Debian. I could not take advantage of the widescreen monitor without getting a driver from the manufacturer of the chipset. Fortunately, in my case, they did supply a driver for Linux.

Best of luck!!!

Comment

This is not widescreen laptop. just 15.1" screen.
              But someone told me I could need special drivers for the adapter.

Comment

Working...
              X