This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reformatted and changed FAT types

I've been living with a dual boot system just fine now for a while... XP and Kubuntu. I have three physical HDD, all of which started out at NTFS. I installed Kubuntu on a small 10G ext3 partition, and had the rest set up NTFS, mostly because I didnt know any better.

I've taken one of the physical drives and reformatted FAT32, so they can both have access to it. I've decided to change another drive to strictly ext3.

Heres the issue... In the end, which is easier? Do I format and reinstall Kubuntu completely? (I've also added a new multimedia keyboard with I see is in the known list of keyboard for K/Ubuntu) This will remount both the stranded drives and POSSIBLY get that KB working. OR... is there a way to have Kubunut "rescan" for system changes and do all that without ACTUALLY reinstalling?

I just think that fuddling around with fstab and all that jazz seems to be a waste of time, especially because the initial install was SO painless... (Its almost faster for me to reinstall than to edit all the files that I would need to get those drives back up)

Any advice? With that, am I just trying to remount the drives the hard way? lol Maybe it ISNT as hard as I'm trying to make it...

Thanks
    Mik

Re: Reformatted and changed FAT types

Once you've done it a few times you can edit fstab in just a minute or 2. Of course if you keep setting it up every time you tweak something you'll get very good at setting up. :-) I take it you don't have much data yet?

For the keyboard you may have to reconfigure xserver, which on my machine can be sort of chancy (I have a weird LCD), but then again it may work with no tweaks at all.

This is a good page on fstab:
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

and if you run into problems I'm sure someone here will jump in to help.

You'll need to post a copy of your fstab and the results of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    that's lower case L not a 1.

Comment

Re: Reformatted and changed FAT types

DarkHold,

I would suggest to manually mount the partitions in question and, after having succeeded in doing so, form the according entries to your file system table ("fstab") from what you have used on the command line - relatively simple although not absolutely trivial, but a very good way to approach the solution(s) to your problem without putting anything at risk ... further reading: the "mount" man page.

HTH
      Birdy

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Working...
      X