X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless

Hi Guys and Gals!

I just installed Kubuntu (loving it by the way!!!  )

Only thing is i cannot seem to get my wireless up and running. when i load up the wireless assistant, it finds my AP but when i try to connect to it, it keeps saying 'connection failed'

following the suggestions I found on a posting on the ubuntu forum i disabled my WPA and WEP encryption to see if that was the cause. it still doesnt connect  >

please help 

Re: wireless

I am having the same issue. Funny thing is my wireless works fine with Ubuntu and with SimplyMepis 6, but in Kubuntu, it shows my IP address, but my wireless light on my computer is off and I have no access.

Frustrating since Simply Mepis is also a KDE environment.

Comment

I had that problem once. I just rebooted. I never could re-create the problem, but sometimes it comes back.

If you are using a WEP key, make sure you have it set right. KDE makes a difference between ASCII and Hexadecimal WEP keys.
      The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

I have done a couple of installs recently (converting two of my kids to Kubuntu). One was a Linksys USB and the other a Linksys PCI. Both required ndiswrapper and wireless assistant wouldn't connect. I used iwconfig to add all the parameters and then ifdown/ifup and both took off and never had a problem. You can google for the iwconfig commands if you need them. Good luck.

Comment

Which Kubuntu version are you running - 6.06 or 6.10?

There is a known bug in 6.10 affecting wireless connections.
          See
          https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuEdgyKnownProblems

bug no. 64841 (and duplicates) for a discussion, workarounds and detailed instructions and speculations.

Comment

Slightly more helpful, a link to the actual bug:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...ant/+bug/64841

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X