This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to Kubuntu - How?

I installed Ubuntu 5.04 on my laptop - a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 series - and it runs okay - though I've not used it much- but I prefer the look and feel of the K desktop. I'd like to install Kubuntu over the top of my ubuntu installation, but I'm getting problems trying to boot from the CD - even with Smart Boot Manager or using the boot options in GRUB. Is it possible to get Kubuntu by installing the K desktop bits from Synaptic package manager? Or is it not quite so simple!

Re: Upgrade to Kubuntu - How?

You can download "KDE base" by clicking on it in synaptic. That should load KDE to be used at login. Before entering your password at login, select the options dropdown and select KDE. On the left tree in synaptic is the KDE options. Load the KDE base (it will load all dependancies) and go back after to load K type packages like, Amarok, KBear, etc.

Comment

open shell then type sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

thanks for the advice... however for some reason the laptop would only boot into the command line this evening.. no GUI ? But! I tried sticking in the Kubuntu install CD - and it loaded up!

So I'm currently installing Kubuntu on the laptop from scratch! It's a good job I hadn't started adding loads of apps!

I'm off to read the documentation... I need to get my head round kubuntu and linux... it's the future of desktop computing - I'm sure

Comment

Working...
        X