This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of newbie problems with 6.10

I've just done a dual-boot install with 6.1 on my scsi drive, and XPpro on my ide drive and I have a few problems.
    1/ The 1600x1200 screen resolution is killing me. How do I change it?
    2/ I'd like to be able to access the windows files from within linux.
    3/ Now Windows won't start up properly. It seems to boot up ok, but after I put in my password it just brings up my desktop and then hangs. The mouse moves, but changes to an hourglass when over the toolbar, and the three fingered salute does nothing. The only out seems to be a hard reboot.
    Can anyone help with this, please?

Re: A couple of newbie problems with 6.10

Originally posted by brightmal
    First thing to try would be cntl/alt/- from KDE. If that doesn't, try going into System Settings (by clicking the lower left K) then click Monitor and Display, click Administrator mode and try moving the slider. If neither of those work, you will need to edit your /etc/xorg.conf. There are quite a few howtos for that on the web. Make sure you back up a working xorg.conf before you start. Then if it won't start you can:

rm /etc/xorg.conf
    cp /etc/xorg.sav /etc/xorg.conf

Your windows drive should already be mapped. Click on the System Menu icon on your taskbar and then click storage media. Your windows drive should be there and you should be able to access it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
      First thing to try would be cntl/alt/- from KDE. If that doesn't, try going into System Settings (by clicking the lower left K) then click Monitor and Display, click Administrator mode and try moving the slider.
      Done that, all is now well on that front.

Your windows drive should already be mapped. Click on the System Menu icon on your taskbar and then click storage media. Your windows drive should be there and you should be able to access it. Good luck.

Tried that. No sign of windows files. I get 3 icons, cdrom0, floppy(shortcut), floppy0

Comment

Your windows drive should already be mapped
        In 6.10 it is not mapped. I had this problem too. See http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_E...s_to_read_only
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Will do. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
          X