Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezes on startup due to screen resolution? Can't connect to X server???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezes on startup due to screen resolution? Can't connect to X server???

Hi! So I've been using Kubuntu for a few months now. My computer froze after I tried to paste something into word. So I turned it off. When i started it up again everything looked to go as normal. After the window where it starts booting everything "o.k" and is supose to go to login, it just freezes - just sits there saying "Kubuntu" but with no nice little moving light blue streak like normal. I've restarted many time and the only error messages it states are ATAPI CD - ROM error and also the PCMCIA doesn't ahve a nice little "o.k" next to it. But i think it's always said that on restart. Everything else looks normal.

Please help! Oh and if you can explain everything slowly and clearly to me, I'm not so bright with this kubuntu system.

I know this sounds like a line but I have an essay due today (yes, its a saturday, but I already got an extension until today) and it's saved on the computer!!!!)

thanks!!!!!
    michelle

EDIT: o.k. so i just read this post- http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...39169#msg39169

I tried kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf but i get the notice can't "connect to X server".
    I tried "startx" got a big screen of stuff...nothing seemed too important except for the (EE) messages:
    (EE) ATI (0): virtual size (2048x1536) exceeds video memory. <-oops guess i went overboard with the screen res.
    (EE) sceen(s) found but .....something like there not right to load on. so then i tried to do the whole kdesu kate /etc/ thing but it still says not connected to server. I'm so confused. Thanks for whatever help you can give!

michelle

Re: Freezes on startup due to screen resolution? Can't connect to X server

It's FIXED!!!!!!!! YAY!!! and my essay is all safe and restored!!!! O.k. i fixed it by going into sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and typing over the screen res i had...is that bad? is it going to cause problems later? (maybe i"ll just never turn off my computer again!)

thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X