This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to load kernel 2.6.15-27-386

Hi I am a Linux newbie and have been using Kubuntu on and off for the last 3 or 4 months. I downloaded recent recommended updates and this completed without problems.
    Grub now starts OK and I get options to boot into 2.6.15-27 and 26 and 23 with recovery mode etc.
    However, the system hangs after the first load screen runs. All items load with a OK flag but I hang at the second progress bar.
    In recovery mode I get the following message:
    "Hard link count is wrong.:this may be a bug in yourn filesytem driver. Automatically turning on finds -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

find: ./X11-unix: Input/output error
    find: ./ICE-unix: input/output error."

I get a command prompt but don't know what to look for! I have had a look at the forums and googled the same. Lots of info. but no real help.

Any pointers as to were to start would be most welcome.

Thanks

Re: Failure to load kernel 2.6.15-27-386

This is a weird one! Can you boot up to your desktop with the older kernel? If yes I would guess that somehow your latest kernel update has a bugger in it somewhere.

Comment

While reading about something totally unrelated I found this:

/tmp/.ICE-unix
      Make sure the directory /tmp/.ICE-unix exists, is owned by user root and has permissions 1777 (accessible to all and sticky). The command 'ls -ld /tmp/.ICE-unix' should show something like

drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 176 2003-01-06 21:25 /tmp/.ICE-unix/

First, third and fourth columns should be like shown above. When this directory isn't created correctly, you may also see message 'IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root' in your ~/.xsession-errors file.

To fix the problem, put the following commands in your system startup scripts (e.g. /etc/init.d/boot.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.local):

chown root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix
      chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

Note that with the latest version of the X.Org XServer your desktop will be unusable without properly setup /tmp/.ICE-unix, so this problem will hopefully soon become a history.

Having correctly setup /tmp/.ICE-unix saves 5 seconds from the startup time.

Comment

Podunk: Thank you. I did immediately try my other kernels when the first failed. Each has the same problem.

From your second post ls -ld /tmp/.ICE-unix just reads " input/ouput error" although the file does exist!

Unfortunately after some digging around in dmesg, I found the following:
        ACPI: looking for DSDT.......not found!
        ACPI - 0190: +++ERROR. looking up [\ _SB_.PCIO.SMBS] in name space. AE_NOT_FOUND.

There is also errors such as +++ERROR: method parse/execution failed [\ _SB_PCIO.SATA.INI] (node dffdd760), AE_AML_NO_OPERAND.

I am searching the forums and googling these errors to try and find an answer. Some seem to point to a ACPI problem with my Asus motherboard (mine PC is a desktop. Most problems seem confined to Asus laptop's).

Also: Startx refuses to provide garphical interface.  So I tried to boot with ACPI off. No joy in that one either.

Again any help welcome.

Comment

What are your computer specs? CPU, video and all that. That would likely help those that are more knowledgeable than we are.

Also - what version are your running? Did you update to Edgy over the net maybe?

Comment

Thanks podunk. Your right I forgot to do the PC spec. that would help.
            This morning my system ran some sort of self test. I didn't see all the messages, but it was something like "checking hard disk for errors after x no. of reboots.

It obviously fixed a few errors as my desktop is now back!!

I will check dmesg and see if I can find out what it fixed.

Thanks for your help and thread ends for now.

Comment

Working...
            X