X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing aps. ??

Hi all.

I have installed kubuntu 1 week ago and loving it.

I have a few problems though, after installation, some programs can't be found.

How can I find them, I have looked in all menus, they are not there ?

Jakob

Re: installing aps. ??

Sometimes you need to restart your desktop by pressing the keys (all at the same time) CTRL ALT BACKSPACE
    enter your password and log back in and check your menus.

Some (many!) Linux programs don't have menu items. For these you need to type the program name into the Konsole (Kmenu>System>Konsole)

If the program you installed makes changes to your system you will have to proceed the command with sudo like this:
    Code:
    sudo some_program
    If doing that doesn't start your program post back here with the name of the application and I'll bet someone will help out. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by podunk
      Some (many!) Linux programs don't have menu items. For these you need to type the program name into the Konsole (Kmenu>System>Konsole)
      And if there is no program icon in kmenu even after a logout, and it can be run with the program name (in konsole or from the Alt+F2 run dialog), you can of course create a menu item yourself for that command, just right-click on kmenu and choose menueditor)

And some programs are meant to be run as service from boot, those programs usually don't have menu icons.

Comment

OK, i got kmail working by typing "kmail", how do I make a shortcut in the menu??

Comment

Originally posted by komma@image.dk
          OK, i got kmail working by typing "kmail", how do I make a shortcut in the menu??
          There is a kmenu item called kontact which is a 'parent' application to communication and time management applications (including kmail), you might want to give it a look.

If you still want to run 'kmail' as an independent application and make a menu item for it, just add a new item in kmenuedior (access by right-clicking on kmenu) and fill in the name, description and command to run (kmail), choose an icon and save.

Comment

Oh yes baby....

I works !!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that did it...

Jakob

Comment

Working...
            X