This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i use .exe ?

im new to linux, i installed kubuntu on my laptop.....is there a device manager like in windows so i can see if it detected my wireless card and other hardware? ....

also, if i need to install drivers, isnt there a program in linux so that i can install windows apps?, or do i have to look for 100% linux drivers for my hardware?

Re: can i use .exe ?

Honestly there should be a linux driver for you... what wireless card are you using. It didn't pick it up already?!

Comment

You can get Wine. That runs windows apps.

But you should get Linux drivers for your hardware. Running Windows programs under Wine is slow.
      The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.<br /><br />-Douglas Adams

Comment

There are likely linux drivers for your wireless adapter. I have only had to use the windows drivers for my Linksys USB wireless adapter. You don't use Wine for that, you use ndiswrapper. Wine is useful for running windows programs. Google you wireless adapter + linux and see what you find.

Comment

Lot's of question here .

- Linux will detect all your hardware. Yes, that it's true. Of course that doesn't mean that it will work. There are some programs like the windows device manager. In Kubuntu you can check Kinfo, in the system menu. It's somewhat different, but it works.

- You can't use windows drivers with Linux. Well, you can use one kind of windows drivers, wireless cards, using a program called ndiswraper.

- You can use some windows programs (.exe) using wine. Not all programs work, some don't work at all, some work flawed. It also not exactly easy to use. There is an easier commercial version of wine, called crossover.

- Yes, if you plan to use linux, you should check that any hardware that you bought is linux compatible. Most of it is, but you should check.

Javier.

Comment

Linux XP
            http://www.linux-xp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by adder
              This is just normal linux with a windows xp theme.

Javier.

Comment

@Javier
                NO, it is not.
                You really need to READ the info.
                It says:

3. You can use Windows applications and data.

Need Internet Explorer or other Windows applications? Just install and run them under Linux XP Desktop! Thousands of Windows applications are tested for compatibility. You can use data from your Windows data drives, share folders or even logon to Windows domains.

Comment

Yeah, I bet it's Linux with Wine and an XP theme. Real original.

Comment

Originally posted by Tynach
                    Which means that you have not tested it and therefore do not know what you are talking about.

Comment

@Javier
                      NO, it is not.
                      Yes it is.

You really need to READ the info.
                      It says:
                      And you need to read the INFO, not the marketing hype.
                      Make some more clicks, and you find a list of compatible windows apps that takes you directly to the wine apps database.

Linux, with a windows xp theme, wine and samba installed.

Javier.

Comment

Linux, with a windows xp theme, wine and samba installed.
                        And a 42 buck price tag - you left that part out. :-) Installing Samba is a snap - it's configuring it that's a devil.

Comment

Originally posted by Tynach
                          Which means that you have not tested it and therefore do not know what you are talking about.
                          I was being sarcastic. I used to have the EXACT same setup back when I was new to Linux. But mine was using Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                          X