This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions... not getting things to work

Ok first off, I am using Kubuntu 6.10. I can never get things installed. I run "configure" and it always finds an error. I want to install superkaramba, but I never can. Also when I insert a cd into my cd drive nothing appears and it freezes up my computer. I could use some help, I was using Dapper until it just frustrated me too much, then I upgraded. Oh, and with Kaffine I never get any sound watching video. Suggestions?! I need help...

Re: A few questions... not getting things to work

Why must you install superkaramba from source?
    you should install a working version with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install superkaramba
    Have you installed the libxine-extracodecs package?
    Can you hear sounds at all?
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

To install from source you need to install building tools (build-essential), and most likely some development libraries (like kdelibs4-dev).

But as Gediminas2 pointed out, it's much easier (and in the long run, better) to install software with a package manager (Like adept_manager). To get access to a greater range of software (like superkaramba) you just have to enable 'universe' (and possibly 'multiverse') repositories. Instructions to do so are available here:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

More information on installing software on kubuntu:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desk...lications.html

Comment

Ok... I did the multiverse thing and each time i search for karamba or superkaramba it won't find it?!

Comment

Originally posted by tpppaintballer
          Ok... I did the multiverse thing and each time i search for karamba or superkaramba it won't find it?!
          Have you clicked 'Fetch Updates' to refresh the package lists after you enabled repositories? The new packages won't be available until you do that.

(Side note: superkaramba is in universe so you don't need multiverse for it, I just added multiverse because you need multiverse to install non-free packages, like libxine-extracodecs for mp3 support mentioned in an earlier post)

Comment

Working...
          X