Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused re: Optimized 686 Kernel (Edgy)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused re: Optimized 686 Kernel (Edgy)

Hi.

2 days ago when I installed edgy was NOT the first time I've sat down in front of a linux box, but I'm still a green, green noob.

Under dapper, I understood that I needed to install the 686 kernel for my PIII 1GHz system, and I found a howto, did it, validated that it installed, and went on. I can't say that things were necessarily WAY peppier, but I felt good knowing that I did it.

So I've been searching for similar info for edgy, and some things I've read have made it sound like the default kernel now includes optimizations for 686. However, I've also seen posts regarding installing a different kernel, but then choosing this from a menu of available kernels at boot. I don't recall seeing anything like this when I switched to the 686 kernel in dapper, and have got no idea about a boot-time kernel menu.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

Re: Confused re: Optimized 686 Kernel (Edgy)

With edgy the new kernel is 2.6.17-10, and anyone who was using either the optimized 686 or k7 now have the generic. This is most probably due to the fact that the 686 and k7 architecture are so close that it is now incorporated as one. You still have the 386 for older architecture processors, if you search in adept it will shoe you that the k7 and 686 have been obsoleted by the generic.

As for the boot menu which is "GRUB" this will show a selection if you have more than one kernel installed,I normally have two (3 including XP) always keeping the previous working kernel just in case I have a problem with the latest.
    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Originally posted by sjhstorm
      With edgy the new kernel is 2.6.17-10, and anyone who was using either the optimized 686 or k7 now have the generic.
      Sorry, I should have mentioned that I didn't upgrade, I wiped dapper and installed edgy fresh. Does this change anything in your answer?

Thanks for the info!

Comment

As far as the generic kernel is concerned the answer remains the same.

Because you wiped dapper and clean installed edgy you will only have the one kernel installed, therefore you will not have a list in Grub. When the next updated kernel is released and you install it you will have the two kernels installed and both will be selectable in the Grub

hope this helps
        Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

OK, sounds great. So if I've got it right, the 386 kernel is now somewhat of a "legacy" kernel, and the generic kernel, which I should have, is proper for my PIII.

I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X