This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Install Google Earth for Linux?

As a newbie to Linux, it was good to learn how straightforward the Adept Installer is, for installing supported packages. Between experimentation on my system, and the Kubuntu documentation online, I was able to go out and get updates, install a couple of packages including Firefox, and become more of a master of my Kubuntu Edgy system.

Then I got bold and went looking for bigger challenges. I found the Google Earth download for Linux, and saved it in my home directory. It is a ".bin" file.

I read all of Chapter 29 of the Keir Thomas Ubuntu book "Installing Software" and have searched this forum to see if there is any previous instructional material on how to install a ".bin" package -- looks like maybe a compiling process is required.

Would some kind guru give us an explanation of the process to install Google Earth on a Kubuntu system, please and thank you?

Re: How To Install Google Earth for Linux?

Hello

First download the binary file from google (*.bin)
    GO to your directory and then sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
    wait and see
    CMIIW

Comment

See http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_E...l_Google_Earth
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

What works for me...

Download Google Earth from http://earth.google.com/ to your Desktop

Open Konsole and type
        cd Desktop
        <ENTER>

sudo chmod 777 GoogleEarthLinux.bin
        <ENTER>

sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
        <ENTER>

Google Earth will start installing. Some of the above steps may not be necessary "chmod 777" for executing or sudo commands but if you use them as I have put them they will work irregardless. If you don't have your video card enabled for 3D you will get a warning on startup of Google Earth and the program will be slow and unusuable. If you have a Nvidia card you can get the Nvidia driver through Automatix2. If you have an ATI card it is doable but more of a pain - happy googling on that...

Comment

Excellent -- great help, thank you very much!

Now I can focus on getting this RADEON X800 to operate correctly ....

Comment

I have an Nvidia card and it worked fine with Google Earth under Windows XP a few months ago, before I switched to Kubuntu. It is unusably slow under Kubuntu Why?

I see it's now called Google Earth 3D; is that new?
            'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Have you installed the nvidia drivers for linux? otherwise your kubuntu may just be running off an integrated video card and using nvidia's three d at all......

how are your other 3D apps running? if they are slow, you may not have gotten the linux drivers for nvidida up yet........if not go to the nvidia site and download the drivers .....

cheers

Comment

Working...
              X