This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel Panic 6.06 Installation woes <<FIXED!!>>

Before anyone gets upset, I've looked all over the net before decidedly posting here. I've also looked at some of "Read here first" posts and I didn't find any answers there either. Basically, I can't install kUbuntu 6.06. I end up with a "Kernel Panic" error.

My current PC has
    Intel celeron 2.4 Ghz
    512 Mb Ram
    ASRock P4i45GV motherboard
    Maxtory 80Gb SATA HDD (Partitioned into 3, 3rd partition saved for kUbuntu).

And a DVD (DVDRAM?) and CD ROM drive.

I've read that there were problems with SATA drives and installing Linux, but my understanding is that this was fixed with 6.06. The more I search the net, the more it looks like a hardware issue, plus the fact that I tried to install Suse 10.1 and that failed too (hangs after booting), although I didn't see any error messages in that respect.

Another thing to note is that I did manage to install an earlier version of Suse (9.x) a while back and and I could dual boot my machine. Although I think I corrupted the Linux partition when I accidentally tried to view from within windows (not 100% sure, but I think it stopped booting into Suse pretty much after that). Which brings me to a post that I came across that said there are issues regarding partitioning using Partition Magic that may result in the "Kernel panic" error I'm getting.

Anyway, I'm coming across a lot of possibles as to what my problem might be, but nothing concrete... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Kernel Panic 6.06 Installation woes

Hi,

In fact just a kernel panic is not really helping to know what's going on, you should give the error you see before.
    If you don't see it, please do the following :
    on grub menu :
    highlight the line you want to boot
    press e
    highlight the third line
    press e
    remove "quiet splash" (by x key)

Then enter to come back to menu, and press "b"
    Read what is written before the kernel panic and post it.

Cheers

Comment

Re: Kernel Panic 6.06 Installation woes &lt;&lt;FIXED!!&gt;&gt;

Hi Sky,

Thanks for your help, I tried doing as instructed but that didn't work. However, I reviewed what options I was trying to install with and believe it or not, I finally got kUbuntu up and running. I used the noapic noalpic acpi=off options for the boot command. I also added agp=off, I'll explain why:

I have a GeForce 6600 graphics card and I noticed that the install would go past the point where previously experienced a "Kernel panic" and get stuck on something called agpgart or something to that effect. I then went into my BIOS and set my PC to use the internal VGA card as opposed to my GeForce card and lo and behold, the installation ran to completion.

I now have kUbuntu up and running. Just trying to get it to use my GeForce gfx card and that's also starting to be an exercise in frustration, but having got this far, nothing seems impossible... I think. I still need to get a wireless card installed

*shudder*

Comment

Re: Kernel Panic 6.06 Installation woes &lt;&lt;FIXED!!&gt;&gt;

Happy to see you got it working... and good luck with your graphic card.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X