This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh, xserver won't start after installing nvida drivers

I installed Edgy 64 bit and it was running ok, except the resolution was too low and I couldn't set it to 1680x1050 for my monitor. I decided to try installing the nvidia drivers. I stopped my session and started a command line startup. I logged in as root and installed the drivers. I restarted my system and it's still a command line startup. I typed xinit and I receive a message saying, "API mismatch NVIDIA kernel module has version 1.0-7184, but this x module has the version 1.0-9625. Displays were found, but none usable." How can I fix the API mismatch so that the x-server works, and how do I prevent this in the future.

Thanks

Re: Doh, xserver won't start after installing nvida drivers

I have the same exact problem on my laptop. It is not a 64bit install...but I basically did the same thing. I get the same message except "...this x module has a the version 1.0-9746" since the driver I installed as the newest one.

How can we fix this?

Comment

Re: Doh, xserver won't start after installing nvida drivers

At the command line prompt input:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      This will start a text based wizard. If you do not know the answer to any questions go with the suggested default answer. This should restore functionality.

To install Nvidia I found the script "Envy" very good. It checks which video card exists, downloads and installs drivers for Nvidia or ATI. Read about it at http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
      X