This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

antivirus for kontact or linux?

I wanted to use the antivirus feature in kontact- however the capability comes from whatever antivirus util thats installed. As a relative newb to linux I'm wondering if I even need an antivirus program. I heard awhile back that it wasn't necessary since primarily the targets are MS users not linux users.

I saw some available through the repositories, yet most of these seem to be for email servers running linux to protect MS users.

Am I in peril with no antivirus?

What's a good simple effective program if I do need it?

Re: antivirus for kontact or linux?

I use clamav as my antivirus. It is in the repositories. I installed the bogofilter antispam filter for kontact. Once you have clamav and bogofilter installed, you can go to the antispam/virus wizards under Tools in kontact to set them up. Pretty simple. As for whether you need AV, probably not, but its there and its free and why wait until you get hit to protect yourself.

Comment

Thanks, I installed clamav through adept and it showed up in kontact but nowhere else- as in the application menus. Is this a command line interface based app only, or is there a gui available?

I tried aegis and it is simple to use- however, it is not picked up by kontact. It is great for scanning directories and files though.

Anyway any suggestions on clamav and how it can be used?

Comment

There is a kde frontend for clamav, it's called 'klamav' and should be available from the 'universe' repository (you may need to enable universe to find it)

In general, antivirus software isn't needed (as of yet) for linux, though there isn't much harm in having one either

Of course it can be useful for checking mail (so you don't spread viruses by forwarding infected mail to your friends), and to check Windows partitions on your machine, or windows computers on your network.

Comment

Working...
        X