This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an equivalent to MSN chat

Brand new at this. I put my 2 pc's away 18 months ago after getting so many viruses on Win XP and then buying a Mac. My kids are all teens so to accommodate them, I dusted off the pc's and installed Linux Kubuntu from a disk a friend gave me. Looks good and enjoying the experience. Question: My kids want to chat on MSN. What can I install that's equivalent for Kubuntu?
    Thanks

Re: Looking for an equivalent to MSN chat

The base Instant Messenger in Kubuntu is Kopete which supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, IRC, Gadu-Gadu, Novell GroupWise Messenger, and more. It should already be installed and listed under the Internet programs in the main menu.

Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS Linux Sig | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Comment

Thanks. Found it and made a short cut onto the desktop. We'll see how the kids like it..
      Some more help please...
      I installed Kubuntu 5.1 and don't even remember when they were given to so is there an upgrade or update I should install? Messing around trying to see if I could update a couple of days ago, many files got downloaded and installed but I'm not sure if they were updates. How can I tell?
      BTW, I had a look at the post with info for the beginner. Lots of good information there that I plan on checking out but for now I looking for the quick fixes to get me going.

Comment

Originally posted by AylmerQc
        I installed Kubuntu 5.1 and don't even remember when they were given to so is there an upgrade or update I should install? Messing around trying to see if I could update a couple of days ago, many files got downloaded and installed but I'm not sure if they were updates. How can I tell?
        There are still supported security updates available on a regular basis for kubuntu 5.10 (which is a year old release)...so what you downloaded and installed are probably those.

To upgrade to a newer release version you need to change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the software repositories of the release version you're trying to upgrade to. Search the forums if you need instructions on how to upgrade should you choose to do so (5.10 Breezy Badger is still supported, but doesn't have the latest 'goodies')

Alternatively you can do a 'clean' installation with a newer release CD ISO (available from kubuntu.org), you may need to backup your personal files if you decide to do a clean installation.

Release versions since 5.10:
        1. 5.10 Breezy Badger
        2. 6.06 Dapper Drake (Current release)
        3. 6.10 Edgy Eft (RC, will be released on thursday)

Comment

Working...
        X