This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversation with su failed.

I get this everytime I try to do anything I can't even change my time. I can't log in as su or change things. Sometimes after a fresh reboot I can do a su command once. After that it no longer works. I am wondering what causes that and what I can do to fix it.

Re: Conversation with su failed.

Are you using sudo as the temporary root power command? If sudo doesn't work for you something is seriously borked.

Comment

Re: Conversation with su failed.

I have the same problem.

I just finished installing 6.10. The first thing I did was update my time. It asked for my password, worked fine.

Then I clicked on the security update symbol, it asked for my password and I get "conversation with SU failed."

Now anything that wants my password gives me the same error.

So, is this it? Do I have to reinstall after just three minutes?

UPDATE: Alright just for grins I used visudo and saw that my user was not in the list. No idea if that is necessary with this distro, but what the hell, I put it in. I relog, click on the Adept icon and this time I'm not prompted for my password.

But the little Adept icon just bounces away and then eventually craps out with no feedback. I tried again, same result.

So... what now? Reinstall? When I last tried Kubuntu on this machine although the installer was a little less slick when I was done it actually worked. So I'm pretty disappointed.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I tried to start the Apt Package Manager, same bouncing, until it just goes away, never get any program opening. I decided to try and change my screen resolution. Go into system settings, display, hit the Admin button and the screen activates. Switch to the hardware tab, hit the Admin button and.... it just goes back to the resolution tab. Tried it twice, same thing.

So... guess this install is hopelessly screwed.

Comment

Working...
      X