X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get back the previous kernel version

Hello,

I installed Kubuntu about 2 month ago and I got some trouble after the first time updating every package which was recommended in the Package Manager Adept last weekend.

After reading some messages here, I think it is because a newer version of the kernel got installed with the last updates.

Right now I have Kernel 2.6.15-27-386. I don´t know which version I had before the update.

So, I have the following questions:

1.) How can I find out if I had an other kernel version before the update and if yes, which one it was? I read that you can find out with the bootmanager Grub, but unfortunately there is only Kubuntu on my computer, so Grub is not installed. Is there an other way to find out?

2.) How can I get back to the old kernel version?

Thank you very much in advance.

Joey

Re: How to get back the previous kernel version

Joey,

even though you have only one system installed on your computer, I'd dare betting you also have GRUB installed ... it's kind of "no bootloader, no party"

Therefore, at the end of /boot/grub/menu.lst you should find a list of all kernels being installed on your Kubuntu system. They go in pairs (one "default", one "recovery"), in decending order (as you can see from the kernels version numbering), with the default kernel at top of the list.

Although you can remove the "unwanted" entries or change their order, I would rather suggest to change hiddenmenu to # hiddenmenu (or "uncomment" it, thereby "unhinding" the GRUB menu at boot time) and set an appropriate value for timeout (in seconds) before the default kernel will be selected.

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Re: How to get back the previous kernel version

Hi Birdy,

thank you very much for your response.

It works that way

But unfortunately booting with the old kernel (2.6.15-23-386) doesn´t solve my problem like I thought it would.

Maybe you have an idee how to solve my problem which I described here:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=10009.0

Again, thank you very much.

Joey

Comment

Working...
      X