This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Basic Question!

I suppose this is the most obvious question of all but I can't find any reference to it anywhere so here goes.

I have Kubuntu on CD. I want to install it on my PC but not affect my existing Windows XP and programmes. I've run it from the disk and it looks great but I'm scared to hit "Install" in case I start WW3 on the PC. so...

If I install from the CD, will it wipe Windows XP and My Documents, programmes et al?
    Anything I need to watch out for if I proceed with the install?
    If both were to sit alongside, would that mean that I could boot from either?

OK, that's three naiive questions but, y'know....

Any help gratefully received for this XP literate, but Kubuntu-dense, world leader - I have a feeling you'll be seeing a lot more of me here... ;-)

Many thanks,

Tony, Cherie and the kids (no, not really....!)
    Many thanks,<br /><br />Tony, Cherie and the kids (no, not really....!)

Re: Very Basic Question!

Your questions are completely understandable.

You can choose during hte installation to wipe your whole drive (including windows) or keep windows and run both side by side. The installer will handle this for you in a pretty straight forward way. Just pay attention to the questions you're asked.
    And yes, you'll be able to choose which OS you boot to each time you start up.

Make sure you defrag your hard drive from Windows before you install Ubuntu, if you're going to keep windows. You find the defragmenter in Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools.

:: antoher ubuntu blog :: get linux&nbsp; &nbsp; ::&nbsp; &nbsp; ubuntu documentation project ::

Comment

Working...
    X