X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot menu + mounting Windows partition

Hey.

I have two problems with Linux so far.
    My first problem is the dual boot menu, I made Kubuntu create it during the installation (I let it install$ on the free HD space I had left).
    It shows things like Kubuntu, Kubuntu safe mode, Kubuntu on an older kernel, Kubuntu on an older kernel in safe mode, Memtest86, ...
    I have no idea why it does list older kernels as an option, but that's of less importance right now. It's that I want to change the order of the menu, with Windows XP (or in Kubuntu terms: "Redmond XP" ) at the top, so it automaticaly chooses that after 9 seconds instead of Kubuntu.

My second problem is that I can't access my Windows partition. I can see it in Konqueror and the other programs, but when I try to access it, it gives me this error message: Can't find mount /dev/hda2 in fcab.

Thank you.

Re: Dual boot menu + mounting Windows partition

dee dee dee

Comment

Re: Dual boot menu + mounting Windows partition

you need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file like this

kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst. Scroll down to the bottom of the file - you'll see a command sequence that looks like this

title Windows
      root (hd0,0)
      makeactive
      chainloader +1

Cut this out and paste it on top of your similar looking sequence of commands that boot Ubuntu Thats often just below this line

## ## End Default Options ##

This will work as long as you have this sequence near the top

# default num
      # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
      # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
      #
      # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
      # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
      # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
      # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
      default 0

and the default is set to 0. You can also change this to another number if you don't want to to do the cut and paste (so for example if say its third on the list set it to 2)

To read your windows partition - try this

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#Windows

Comment

Working...
      X