This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu stopped booting

I'm only 2 days into my Linux experience and I'm in trouble already!

1) Got a Kubuntu 6.06 Live CD from a magazine. Seemed to work ok and the desktop showed an 'Install', but the magazine warned that this live CD wasn't suitable for a HD installation - I should download from the website. Anyway, I tried to install from the magazine live CD. It all seemed to go OK. I removed the CD & rebooted. GRUB appeared and Kubuntu was selected. Started to boot up ok. Got a Kubuntu logo and a progress bar. The bar filled up to 100% while messages flashed up saying that various things were being loaded and mounted. After the bar got to 100%, the screen went black, a cursor briefly appeared in the top left corner, then the Kubuntu logo appeared again with a blue bar underneath. After that, nothing happened. Tried to reboot a couple of times, but didn't get any further.

I then re-installed Kubuntu from the image I downloaded from the website. Again, everything looked ok. This time, after I removed the CD, it booted up perfectly and worked! I even managed to download and install Firefox. All fine, so I shut down the machine.

Last night I booted up and it was fine. I had a look through the various menus and directories to see what was there. The only thing I changed was the screen resolution. I had previously set it to 1024 x 768 (?) as that seemed the clearest. I changed it to a slightly higher resolution (1280 x 960 ?). I shut down, then rebooted later. This time I had the same problem as described above. Lots of stuff gets loaded, seems to complete, black screen, cursor in corner, then back to the Kubuntu logo with the blue bar.

Any clues?

Re: Kubuntu stopped booting

Simonhancock,

have you had a look at your system's (partial) boot log, which could be accessed e.g. by hacking less /var/log/dmesg into the console ...?

HTH
    Birdy

Comment

Working...
    X