This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu boot from 1GB stick

Hello, we are setting up a computer school in Guatemala. Because of needed Hardware I was asked if its possible to boot Kubuntu form a 1GB Memory stick and run it from this device.
    I know that somhow the BIOS of the Motherboard should to be changed, but is it possible to run the OS from a Memory Stick?
    If its possible it would be cheaper for us to build the hardware for it, because we are just able to get 80GB harddrives and for a schoolenviroment it is quite a lot.
    It will also be possible to help students to fully understand the OS issue. Because every student will be able to have his own enviroment to work with.
    This would be greate. I know this is a tough question and it will depend on the USB device and on the memory- USB2 will hopefully be abel to do it.

Re: Kubuntu boot from 1GB stick

See LiveUsbPendrivePersistent at http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...ent&frame=true

You could have a lot of people using an 80Gb hard drive.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Kubuntu boot from 1GB stick

Dear arochester,
      thank you so much for your Info.
      Brilliant. It means Hardware costs will drop.
      Yes it is right that a big harddrive is fine. But I am facinated with the idea - creating a machine without harddrive. I hink this will create posibilities.
      We will be able to run a Linux system without a Harddrive and a CD-drive. I wil check it out. Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
      X