X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 main important questions about kubuntu

Hey guys,

when i used the live CD, love the OS right away, so easy, so... ya easy and awesome it is... how everything comes with 1 OS, no additional software (even though there are some you need) but so much compared to windows. But 2 things i am hesitated to switch... first question... what is the difference between KDE and gnome, pros and cons, opinions or facts help a lot. 2nd question and most important, i play world of warcraft, counter strike source and Call of duty 2, but i am wondering if Kubuntu is up to the challenge of running those programs? thanks for your help... and thank you to the makers of kubuntu

Re: 2 main important questions about kubuntu

Hi, glad you're liking Kubuntu!

The differences between KDE and Gnome are largely academic, at least these days. Talk to ten different Linux users and they'll give you ten different advantages for the one they prefer.

Both come with their own set of (mostly equivalent) apps, things are laid out differently, but just about all programs run quite happily on either. (Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, prefers KDE... but there's plenty of high-profile support for Gnome too!)

I prefer KDE - probably because it was the first of the two I used, and so there are lots of little niggles I have with the way Gnome does things.

Incidentally, it doesn't matter if you install Ubuntu and then want to use KDE, or vice versa with Gnome and Kubuntu - as both Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the same repositories, you can just install whichever you prefer.

As for the games, I can make no promises... By rights, Kubuntu shouldn't be able to run them at all as they're designed for Windows. Fortunately for us, the guys at WINE work their socks off to get Windows programs running on Linux. Check out their Application Database (http://appdb.winehq.org/) for the games you have, and expect at least a few little problems when you try and play.

There's nothing to stop you from dual-booting - that is, keep a slimmed-down Windows installed at the same time as Kubuntu, and choose which to use when you boot the computer.

Comment

Working...
    X