X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install ARCAD

Hello everybody,

I just switched from Windows to Kubuntu a few days ago and I am trying to install ARCAD (http://arcad.de). I downloaded the program from their site (as RPM), and installed it as DEB using alien. Everything seems to have worked OK during the installation, but when I try to run it, I get the following results:

Code:
    konrad@Konrad1:/opt/tuxbase/projects/arcad$ ./start
    INFORMATION:
    | Sie verwenden das Betriebssystem Linux mit dem Kernel 2.6.15-27-386
    | Der Kernel wurde fr den i686 Prozessor compiliert.
    | ----------------------------
    | Starte arcad
    | ----------------------------
    | homeverzeichnis____: /opt/tuxbase/projects/arcad
    | programmverzeichnis: /opt/tuxbase/projects/arcad/bin
    | datenverzeichnis___: /var/lib/tuxbase
    | mysqlsocket________: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    | 1.language_________: en_CA:en
    | 2.language_________: en_CA.UTF-8
    bin/arcad: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    So apparently i need libpng.so.3... I know it is also available as an RPM package, but at this point I don't want to start messing with it because I don't know Linux that well yet. So if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed now I would greatly appreciate your help =]

By the way, I love the new Kubuntu and I'm really happy to have finally gotten rid of Windows!!!   

How to install ARCAD

Additional info:
    (From Adept Manager) I have libpng12-0 installed...

Comment

Re: How to install ARCAD

In most cases, the newer libraries are backwards compatible to the older versions.

You can try to make a link for the libpng.so.3 to the version of libpng that you do have installed.

Go to the /usr/lib directory in a terminal session and use:

sudo ln -s libpng.version-you-have libpng.so.3

This will re-direct all requests for version3 to the newer version that you do have. In most cases this will work. If not, you will have to hunt down the older version of the library.

Comment

Thank you

THANKS!
        It worked =]

It's still asking about the DBE / Double Buffering module but I think I'll have to fix my nvidia configs first

Comment

Working...
        X