This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to you get an isdn modem to work?

I am trying more than 3 days now to get internet connection through an isdn modem (AVM Fritz!Card USB) but it seems that I can’t get even basic things to work.

The first thing I tried was to install the driver fcusb-suse93-3.11-04.tar.gz

I followed the instructions but I am getting an error something like “make: Entering and unknown director”
    I understand that this driver is made for SUSE and that I have to do some kind of compiling but to be honest I don’t have a clue what that means.

Then I tried to follow the suggestions found in the German wiki page: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/AVM_FRITZ%21Card but since I don’t have internet connection I can’t use apt. So I need to manually download the suggested packages (avm-fritz-firmware-2.6.12-9 etc). But whatever I download and try to install I always get a dependency problem. Every package depends on something else, and if I get this new one it again depends on something else! I kept doing this for many hours now and I am very close to …resign!

Could please someone help?

Re: How to you get an isdn modem to work?

Linux is not very good with USB ISDN modems.I bought an ethernet (modem) router from ebay and used an ethernet cable. This was much easier.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

While trying to find a solution all these days, I saw many people saying to use hardware that is well supported under Linux. In that way Linux gets also supported. I fully agree and since I really want to get completely rid of Windows and switch to Linux I am seriously considering changing my modem. My problem is that I have at the moment an isdn line and I don’t know when I will get a dsl one. I have applied but I am waiting for almost 6 months now and it may take another year to upgrade my line which means that if I buy a modem now I may need another one soon. Anyway, I still might buy the Ethernet modem. Is there any known firm that supports Linux well and recommended by other kubuntu users? One that would be fairly easy to configure?

Comment

I use a ISDN modem, and all I had to do is:

modprobe cdc-acm
        mknod /dev/tty/ttyACM0 c 166 0

typed in console, ofcourse....

So your new modem is ttyACM0...
        I read that in my modem manual, wich is Intracom netMod, so I don't know if it would work for you...
        good luck

Comment

Ok I abundoned the Fritz!card modem and tried to use directly my intracom isdn modem. I have connected it both ways (USB and RS232). Indeed when I do lsusb I can see it in:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID Obf1:0001 Intracom S.A.

Is there a way to see what devices are connected to serial ports?

Then I tried to give the commands you suggested but on the second command I get:

Mknod: “ /dev/tty/ttyACM0”: Not a directory

*That after ACM is a zero yes?

Any more suggestions?

Comment

Sorry, my bad, you should type:
            mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0

And yes, that is a zero...
            I am sort of new to all this so i can't tell much more than that...
            Also, as far as i can tell, it doesn't really matter where you create it, what maters is that you point your dial-up software to it....
            This all applies to usb connection, i don't know if it applies to serial connection.
            good luck - again

Comment

Working...
            X