This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install w/o reformat?

Hi, I'm fleeing Linspire and writing this from kubuntu liveCD.  The installer tries to force reformat, but of course I don't want to wipe/backup my personal data just to backup it up again after install.

Is there any way to force the installer to proceed without forcing a reformat?

-Torsten

Re: Install w/o reformat?

If your present /home directory is not on it's own partition, then you will have to wipe and and install cleanly. If it is on it's own partition, you should be able to flag it with no changes and then set it as /home on the next screen in the installation process.

It sounds like you're not using /home on it's own partition...I would be very surprised if linspire did this for you. Make a back up of your /home directory and then do a clean installation. It is a bit of a pain, but it is the only thing you can do, I'm pretty sure.

:: antoher ubuntu blog :: get linux    ::    ubuntu documentation project ::

Comment

I have reformatted a couple of times and I wish I knew how to put the /home directory on another partition. Kubuntu is so nice and such a refreshing change that..well...as a noob user who is still learning...I try things, experiment and sometimes I just plain make mistakes.

For me the install from the Live CD (really sweet install!) only takes 10-15 minutes tops.....so, it would be nice to know how put the /home directory somewhere else for future reference. Thanks.
      Nightcrawler

Comment

You can find some good information on setting up a partition for /home here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

You can also create a new partition and move your /home directory to it. Directions are on the same site.

:: antoher ubuntu blog :: get linux    ::    ubuntu documentation project ::

Comment

Working...
        X