X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radeon X700 and wireless

Computer:
    Acer Travelmate 3220 with a Mobility Radeon X700...

I decided to switch to kubuntu again and I remebered that I had "some" problems
    getting x started. I found some solutions to the problem like:

xorg.conf:

switching Driver "ati" to "radeon" and
    Option "DPMS" to "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,AUTO".

I've been installing and reinstalling a couple of times now and it doesn't seem
    to be consistent, it isn't THE solution.

And then there is the wireless...
    The drivers for my card isn't really neccessary as I got it working anyway.
    The problem is that I cannot get it to access my wireless at home.
    In school there is an open network which you access through your browser (don't
    know what it's called)
    At home I use WPA or WEP, tried both but knetworkmanager is unable to connect to it.
    I've tried with drivers, not sure I got it working because I'm not so good at linux
    and everyone seems to think you are so no help there...

If anyone can help me with these problems I will be forever grateful

Re: Radeon X700 and wireless

About the wireless:

I had the same problem. What I did was that I changed the router to use WEP ASCII 128 bit Shared Key encryption (not passphrase). I'm pretty new to Linux myself, but from what I have read Linux doesn't natively support WPA (or passphrase).

I then went to K -> System Settings -> Network Settings -> (Administrator Mode) -> right clicked on eth1 (my wireless connection) and chose configure. I wrote the ESSID of my homenetwork, chose ASCII as keytype and entered the ASCII key (for example 6566676869707 (13 figures)) that I had set on the router and .

After that, I went to K -> Internet -> Wireless Assistant and left-clicked on my network and it worked. If it doesn't, try to right-click on the name of your network in WA and choose Security. Choose Shared Key (remember that you must have chosen it on the router in order for it to work), click the "ASCII" button and enter your key.

Hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
    X