Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this work on Kubuntu 20.10 J5040 Quad Core Pentium with Intel UHD 605 Graphics

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Will this work on Kubuntu 20.10 J5040 Quad Core Pentium with Intel UHD 605 Graphics

Hi

I am considering buying " ASRock J5040-ITX Quad Core Pentium Silver Mini-ITX Board "
    It has Intel UHD 605 Graphics

It will have 8GB ram installed on Mobo.

This will used for office work, and streaming YouTube videos.
    Does this meet Kubuntu 20.10 specifications and can I find drivers for this board ?

As a side note, is anyone using one of these on Kubuntu ?

Thanks

Gary

I have an ASRock mobo. but not that model. Generally, you can research the chipset model and other specific parts such as the Ethernet, WiFi, Video, Audio chip, etc. and see if you can find reports of other having issues. I just looked on the Newegg site and someone reported "It worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 20.04." so I think you're good to go in that regard.

Embedded motherboards are generally meant for low power use and not for full desktop use so you might be somewhat disappointed with performance. I use a Gigabyte embedded ITX board for my media server but all the "heavy lifting" is done on my desktop. My server provides storage, torrent serving, and media streaming, but things like video transcoding I do on my more powerful desktop PC.

As far as drivers - what is available is built into the kernel or provided as modules. I have yet to find a motherboard maker that provides any "special" drivers for Linux. The Linux world just doesn't work the same as the Windows world.

Please Read Me

Comment

I saw a review on newegg of that exact model. The review said it worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 20.04. If it works for 20.04 it should work with 20.10 equally well.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your help, that was very helpful, I will be purchasing one today.!
        Last edited by Gazzer; Apr 29, 2021, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X