This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kppp configuration

I`m trying the `live`version of Kubuntu 6.06LTS but can`t set up kppp. Clicking on the kppp short cut I get a message "/etc/resolve.config is missing or can`t be read. Ask your system administrator to create this file (can be empty) with appropriate read and write permissions."
    Could some-one tell me, in very plain english, what to do and how?

Cheers:
    Brads.

Re: kppp configuration

Brads,

the following command, hacked into a console, should help you on:

sudo touch /etc/resolve.config

(sudo = "do as root does", touch = "create empty file")

HTH
    Bernd

Comment

Many thanks Bernd. I`ll give it a try. One small step etc, etc.

Cheers:
      Brads

Comment

Brads,

I'm not a philosopher, but at least from my experience, taking a lot of small steps is definitely not the worst way to move forward - as long as you keep on track and don't give up moving but maybe I'm simply to old to jump into action, crash-land and get up again :-X

Bernd

Comment

Hi Again Bernd

Typed "sudo touch /etc/resolve.config" into a konsole window and hit `enter`but all that happened was the cursor went to the next line. Clicked on the kppp short cut and got the original error window again.
          Re your `too old` comment: You and me both. Wonder sometimes whether too old to teach new tricks :-)

Cheers:
          Brads in NZ.

Comment

Brads,

you're not supposed to receive any feedback from touching (read: creating) a file - but, of course, you can check things out by hacking ls -l /etc/res* into the console ...

However, it the original error message keeps sticking around, the empy file might not be enough. So let's have a look an the analogical file on one of my machines:

#/etc/resolv.conf
            nameserver 195.186.4.108

I positive you get the point edit the file ("doing as root does") and add at least one nameserver's valid IP address (but don't forget to mention that it is a nameserver, as shown in the example ...). - Your service provider should be able to provide the IP(s) you need to get the job done.

Bernd

P.S.: just for the fun of it (as well as to check if we're on the right track) you can simply copy & paste "my" file's contents into yours, restart the appropriate services and let yourself be taken by surprise

Comment

Working...
            X