X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of disk space soon

Hi all,

I will be faced to a luck of free disk space very soon. I have posted the same post in the French forum but there is not enough satisfiying answers.

Here is my last df -h (in French)

Alors, j'ai supprimé les kernel 2.6.15xxx-386 par adept et là, voilà ce que j'ai df -h
    Sys. de fich. Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monté sur
    /dev/hdb1 5,5G 4,4G 851M 85% /
    varrun 252M 84K 252M 1% /var/run
    varlock 252M 4,0K 252M 1% /var/lock
    udev 252M 144K 252M 1% /dev
    devshm 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda1 4,0G 2,5G 1,5G 64% /media/hda1 (don't care as it's win partition)
    /dev/hda5 25G 16G 8,3G 66% /media/hda5 (don't care as it's win partition)
    /dev/hdb6 32G 14G 19G 42% /media/hdb6

the two biggest folders among the are /dev/hdb1 partition are :

/usr/lib 835 Mo
    /usr/share 721 Mo

How to know which folders are to be removed and how to remove them properly ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Lack of disk space soon

Don't touch those two folders; at least, not by hand, as they contain all the program files and libraries your system uses.

5.5GB is very small for Linux with KDE et al. You could try removing any packages that you don't use, with Adept. Bear in mind that some packages are needed by more than one program, so be careful not to remove anything you need!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
      Don't touch those two folders; at least, not by hand, as they contain all the program files and libraries your system uses.

5.5GB is very small for Linux with KDE et al. You could try removing any packages that you don't use, with Adept. Bear in mind that some packages are needed by more than one program, so be careful not to remove anything you need!
      Thanks for your reply.
      So, my next question is what is the most reliable partition manager (free anyway) to extend the size of the partition to 8 Gb ?

Sure, I will save my datas before the operation

Comment

I am a big fan of the Gparted Live CD which you can quickly download (its small) and burn. Its in active development, and its very reliable

Comment

Originally posted by analyticalman
          I am a big fan of the Gparted Live CD which you can quickly download (its small) and burn. Its in active development, and its very reliable
          Hi,

do you mean that I have to download it ? it seems curious how a such small program can not be included in a simple repository

Comment

Well - It IS in the repositories - so you can just use Adept and grab it. But I use it as a live CD because actually there are good reasons for doing it this way. Running the program from the live CD means that none of the partitions on your disk are mounted. THis is safer and gives you more flexibility when changing partitions. It is also a tool that you can take with you if you need to work on other computers - or particularly if your partition table is screwed and you can't boot anymore!

Comment

Analyticalman,

from my experience, I'm strongly supportive of your suggestion about the "external" (read: "live") system ... should have thought of that myself, sorry in exchange, I provide the link you've forgotten:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

--

Postscript: content modified to reflect to fact that QtParted is dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by penguin.ch
                Rikky,

basically, QtParted and GParted are both graphical interfaces to "core" parted.

Analyticalman,

from my experience, I'm strongly supportive of your suggestion about the "external" (read: "live") system ... should have thought of that myself, sorry in exchange, I provide the link you've forgotten:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Ok, in fact i had an amule donwload that I have cancelled. After that
                and after have been removed a file in my home, I have only 66 % space disk used.

Sys. de fich. Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monté sur
                /dev/hdb1 5,5G 3,4G 1,9G 66% /
                varrun 252M 80K 252M 1% /var/run
                varlock 252M 4,0K 252M 1% /var/lock
                udev 252M 144K 252M 1% /dev
                devshm 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
                lrm 252M 18M 235M 7% /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-k7/volatile
                /dev/hda1 4,0G 2,5G 1,5G 64% /media/hda1
                /dev/hda5 25G 16G 8,3G 66% /media/hda5
                /dev/hdb6 32G 14G 19G 42% /media/hdb6
                is it a miracle ? as far as I know linux system, I think that the conclusion is :
                during an amule download, there is a certain space disk fulled in

Comment

Rikky,

there's a small but powerful tool I make use of on a regular base to check who or what is cluttering up my disk(s): it's called XDiskUsage and could be viewed as some sort of "graphical replacement" to du, the traditional "disk usage" tool.

--

Postscript: content / reference updated

Comment

Working...
                  X