This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch monitor and resolution drops

Have an older monitor that is starting to fail. I can get full resolution out of it. I recently changed to Optiquest Q71 monitor. The only resolution available is 640x480. I am using Kubuntu 5.10. I would assume that Kubuntu would go by the video card not by the monitor. If I put back my old monitor, resolution goes back to normal w/o any changes on my part. I want the new monitor, how do you fix

Re: Switch monitor and resolution drops

Aaahotdog,

this sounds to me as if your system's X server needs to be reconfigured in order to "reflect" the changes in your hardware:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

If you feel uncomfortable with this (or just want to make sure I'm putting you on the right track), you can boot from a live system with good hardware recognition (e.g. Knoppix) and compare this system's X server configuration to the one of your "static" system - of special interest are the two versions (= one per system) of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Remark: to be able to display something useful, the X server needs valid data on the graphic card in charge as well as on the plugged-in monitor (which is supposed to display what the graphic card "produces" ...). In this context, KDE is "merely" a graphical layer a-top of what the X server delivers (- that's dumbed down, but I thing you get the point).

HTH
    Bernd

Comment

Working...
    X